• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellowish Bread Crumb

Magictofu

Most of my favourite white bread have a yellowish crumb (particularly baguette for some reason) while all of my homemade white breads are pure white. I have used various type of white flour with similar results. Why is the crumb of all my favourite bread has that yellow tinge? Could this explain why my homebaked bread are not as good as those other breads?

Most of my favourite white bread have a yellowish crumb (particularly baguette for some reason) while all of my homemade white breads are pure white. I have used various type of white flour with similar results. Why is the crumb of all my favourite bread has that yellow tinge? Could this explain why my homebaked bread are not as good as those other breads?

Perhaps your favorite bread uses potato flour? I find that potato flour gives a yellow crumb.

Read the small print on your bag of flour.

What you are seeing is the bleaching effect of oxidation.

While it is unlikely the flour you are using is bleached or bromated these days, much bread flour for home baking contains vitamin C or ascobic acid as a flour improver. It destroys an enzyme that breaks down the gluten, but also acts as an oxidiser. Organic flours tend not to have such additives.

Flour that is aged or dough that has been mixed at high speed will also give a whiter crumb, due to oxidation from the atmospheric oxygen.

High quality artisan bread, from good flour, slow milled and gently mixed will have a creamier crumb, and better taste.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Why is the crumb of all my favourite bread has that yellow tinge?

Yellowish crumb is a sign of well-crafted bread made with unbleached flour. Jackal mentioned gentle mixing as a way of preserving that coloration to minimize oxidation.

Autolyse is also used, where you leave the dough alone after mixing and let it develop gluten on its own. This is the main technique behind no knead bread.

The color indicates higher amounts of beta carotene, the same thing that gives carrots its color. It gives the bread better flavor, aroma, and nutritional value.

Semolina flour may have also been used in the breads you mentioned. Its noticably more yellowish hue also has something to do with beta carotene. Semolina has naturally higher amounts of it compared to other flours.

Thanks for your answers. I think jackal10 might have the answer (I looked at the ingredient list on some of my favourite breads and asked about ingredients to a few local bakers - no potato flour).

I have been using organic flour but it might have been old.