• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican food in SF

Winot

I'll be in SF from 27-29 October. It's my first trip to the West Coast and I'd appreciate some restaurant recs from those in the know.

Having scanned the board I thought I'd try Cafe Panisse and Zuni. I also want to try some decent Mexican food, as the Mexican scene in London is dire -- crappy all-you-can-eat Tex-Mex where the best places are those that don't poison you.

Any pointers? We're staying fairly centrally (Hotel Rex near Union Square) and aren't going to have a car, so only places that are walkable or on public transport please.

Thanks!

Decent Mexican food - as in tortas and tacos...

1. Tortas Los Picudos

(look for the brand new awning)

2969 24th Street between Harrison and Alabama

(415)824-4199

M-Sat 8am-8pm

Sun 7am-8pm

Brand spanking new, very clean. 6 different Agua Fresca.

Had the Tortas Cubanos. Different meats, shredded lettuce, avocado, pickled jalapeno, queso fresco, house sauce. Yum.

2. El Tonayense Taco Truck

22nd and Harrison

Tongue tacos are excellent and cheap.