• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good sushi in Paris?

Vinotas

Don't know where you're from, but I'm not sure there's really good sushi in Paris, at least compared to what I had at Sushi Yasuda in NYC.

That said, for quite good sushi at a reasonable price, your best bet is probably to go in the 2nd arrondissement, rue Ste Anne where there are a lot of japanese restaurants (not everyone does sushi). To be honest, I don't know really know these, and some are obviously bound to be better than others. Korin was hyped by François Simon (french food critic "guru") last year, for example...

You can also check here for a list of "authentic" and recommended japanese restaurants. I know only a few of them, which are all good, so I'd say the list is quite solid.

In the 9th, you have Hotaru rue Rodier, which serves good sushis but also other japanese dishes.

I could also recommend BenKay, in the 15th, reknowned for their teppanyaki, but who also has very good sushis, and which is super-expensive. In the 4th, Isami is all the hype too, but I was disappointed last time I went (disappointed as in "ok, that's good, but absolutely not great").

That said, I don't understand why we don't have as good sushi as in the USA (and probably Japan, but I never went there) in France. I'd be interested in reading some theories about that...

That said, for quite good sushi at a reasonable price, your best bet is probably to go in the 2nd arrondissement, rue Ste Anne where there are a lot of japanese restaurants (not everyone does sushi). To be honest, I don't know really know these, and some are obviously bound to be better than others. Korin was hyped by François Simon (french food critic "guru") last year, for example...

You can also check here for a list of "authentic" and recommended japanese restaurants. I know only a few of them, which are all good, so I'd say the list is quite solid.

The link Olivier gives is great and I use it all of the time for finding authentic Japanese. I have been to Korin a few times (although it is now called Michi) and it is good for authentic inexpensive sushi. I first went with a Japanese friend a few years ago who introduced me to a few of her favorite places (we also went to Hyotan in the 8th and comme des poissons in the 16th) . Also on rue Saint Anne, but for a higher price tag is Bizan, which was quite good. I was speaking to another Japanese colleague the other day who said that the best sushi is in NY, not even Japan and his favorite in Paris is Isami, which is also quite expensive. I have also heard Kaiseki is very good, but have not been.

Rue Sainte Anne has a lot of great places as Olivier said, although more for udon, ramen, katsudon and yakatori.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

This is great! THanks so much for the link and the recommendations, I'll be sure to visit a few while I'm there.

It is interesting how there doesn't seem to be such a great selection of sushi in Paris. I know I can get fresh fish there, so it would seem natural that the possibility for good sushi exists. Perhaps the demand does not?

And I agree, Sushi Yasuda in NYC is heavenly (I live in NYC).

Cheers! :cool:

I will be in Paris for a month, staying in the 9th near Place Clichy and Place Blanche.  As much as I love small bistrots and brasseries, I do love good sushi.

So is there any good, not-too-expensive sushi to be found in Paris?  (preferrably near or in the 9th, of course)

Cheers and merci!  :cool:

Kinugawa 9 rue du Mont Thabor. There is another on Rue St Phillipe du Roule

It is expensive however.

Boston

• 3 months later...

Diane (LuckyGirl) on April 7th said:

(I found the recent post re. sushi so I am good on that front)

Julot on April 9th added:

Speaking of brunch, sushi and easter sunday, Oki, on rue du Pont Neuf, has an all you can eat sushi/maki/yakitori for sunday brunches.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 weeks later...
Kitune, rue Saint Ferdinand

Okame (to go), rue du faubourg Saint Honoré

Benkay of course

Comme des Poissons, rue de la Tour

Julot, I tried to look up Kitune in Google, but I couldn't find it. Did you mean Kifune instead ?

Kifune

44, Rue St Ferdinand

75017 Paris

TIA

Kitune, rue Saint Ferdinand

Okame (to go), rue du faubourg Saint Honoré

Benkay of course

Comme des Poissons, rue de la Tour

Julot, I tried to look up Kitune in Google, but I couldn't find it. Did you mean Kifune instead ?

Kifune

44, Rue St Ferdinand

75017 Paris

TIA

I know, I'm not julot, but yes, that's the one.