• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top 100 Chinese Restaurant Awards, and more

Fat Guy

I really enjoyed reading this and also your fabulous write up of your adventures with David Ross!

I scanned the top 100 list hoping to find a restaurant near me, but, alas, the boonies of Kansas are sadly lacking.

Did you check all the lists, Shelby? I'm not that familiar with the Kansas geography, but there are a few listings for restaurants in KS in the other lists (besides the "Best Overall"). HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 3 months later...

its funny that i happend upon this post today! Me and some chef buddies of mine were eating at our favorite chinese bbq place here in SF last week. Whilst chowing down on chicken feet and char-siu, we noticed a huge trophy prominently displayed with a Top 100 sign by it. Me and my friends were thinking, how have we never heard of this award, and do you think its prestigous in any way? thanks for shedding some light on the situation Fat Guy!

My wife and I now joke, every time we pass a Chinese restaurant, "Hey! I wonder if that's one of the Top 100 Chinese restaurants in the USA!" We were just road tripping in North Carolina and got a lot of mileage out of that one. The more remote and unusual the restaurant is, the funnier it gets. Once in a while, I see a restaurant I remember from the manuscript, but with so many entries and with so much overlap in Chinese-restaurant names (not to mention creeping senility) it's hard to keep track.

The book is almost ready to go to press, by the way. I'm supposed to get the final page proofs tomorrow.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

The book has arrived!

I just received a copy from the publisher. I'm not sure of the actual release schedule but will keep you all posted.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...