• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SF] Recs for one night's grazing

dscott

After a long trip eating with others, I will have one night this Friday alone in SF. I can't decide between all the recommendations others have made here for one meal. Are there any good neighborhoods for a solo diner to hit multiple places in one night, squeezing in to the bar for a drink and a small plate, and then moving on to the next place? It'll be this Friday, so I expect crowds may be a challenge.

Relevant info:

*Staying in the financial district but willing to go anywhere that it's easy to get a cab

*Will eat anything. No restrictions.

*Willing to go low end or high end or a mix

*Savory is far more important than sweet

*Food is more important than drink (but drinks are always nice)

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

I am a big Canteen fan but tend to recommend it for lunch over dinner, whenever possible (it is the same menu).

Much of your one-night choice might depend on where you are coming from; i.e., what don't you get where you live? This is a great town for seafood if you live in the mid-west, but I might not suggest a seafood restaurant to someone coming from Seattle or Maine.

With that, here are general recs:

Boulevard; for me, it tends to be staid and boring because I have eaten there way to much and I think it has lost its spark over the past decade. However, for first-timers, Boulevard has a great deal of charm because of its ambience and it also has the benefit of great kitchen-viewing bar seating for singles.

Incanto; Probably one of the best restaurants in the city with highlight of Chef Cosentino's rising fame for fifth-quarter ingredients, the best house-made charcuteries and salumis in the city, and another great establishment for single diners because of their bar dining area. The detractor is the location; it is a bit of a cab ride. Can be better to dine there in groups so you can taste more food.

SPQR; From the owners of A16, this small-plate Roman establishment has become a fast favorite in its first year. Also the advantage for the solo diner with a bar area that can be easier to find a seat considering they don't take reservations. My detractor for this restaurant is that too many of the dishes are (for me) too salty and the general quality has decreased a tad since they first opened (but a first-timer would never realize that).

Anchor & Hope; My current favorite seafood restaurant in the city. Another with a bar (do we see a pattern? I dine alone quite often so this a crucial for me). I love the "fries with eyes" (fried smelt) and the sea urchin which is a must-order. Great oysters as well.

Ame; Another fabulous place for seafood but my hands-down favorite for Asian fusion. I've had full tastings but am always happier when I just stick with the crudo offerings.

Thanks for the recommendations Carolyn. I fell horribly ill and missed out on everything. Completely disappointed. I will carry these recommendations with me for the next time.