• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for artisinal meat source

I've been working with my butcher (Jeffrey on Essex) to get more artisinal farm products. Right now he sells what's basically the best from the standard wholesale distributors. But he doesn't have any direct farm sources. Lately he's had some issues with the quality of Berkshire pork loins ... but it's hard to know what to do other than complain to his distributor (who buys and sells boxes of sub primal cuts). He's been hoping to have more direct sources, which I think would benefit everyone.

Can anyone recommend farms that deliver goods to the city? Ideally ones that do their own processing for retail, because Jeffrey isn't going to be selling enough of this stuff to be able to buy whole animals.

Right now I'm especially interested in lamb, but a farm source for amazing pork and pasture-raised beef would be great.

Notes from the underbelly

• 3 weeks later...
I've been working with my butcher (Jeffrey on Essex) to get more artisinal farm products. Right now he sells what's basically the best from the standard wholesale distributors. But he doesn't have any direct farm sources. Lately he's had some issues with the quality of Berkshire pork loins ... but it's hard to know what to do other than complain to his distributor (who buys and sells boxes of sub primal cuts). He's been hoping to have more direct sources, which I think would benefit everyone.

Can anyone recommend farms that deliver goods to the city? Ideally ones that do their own processing for retail, because Jeffrey isn't going to be selling enough of this stuff to be able to buy whole animals.

Right now I'm especially interested in lamb, but a farm source for amazing pork and pasture-raised beef would be great.

I dont know about hooking Jeffrey up with a farm but I use him as well and he is a great butcher but I do wish he had more meat variety as well. I usually just go to the greenmarket and get stuff from there if I am being picky but its way more expensive sadly, i cant imagine how much more it would be if sold through a middle man like Jeffrey.

Sous Vide Or Not Sous Vide - My sous vide blog where I attempt to cook every recipe in Under Pressure.

I dont know about hooking Jeffrey up with a farm but I use him as well and he is a great butcher but I do wish he had more meat variety as well. I usually just go to the greenmarket and get stuff from there if I am being picky but its way more expensive sadly, i cant imagine how much more it would be if sold through a middle man like Jeffrey.

I use Jeffrey also... he's great... I wonder how much more he'd be - I'm sure he'd get much better pricing from the farm than we'd get at the greenmarket - becasue at the greenmarket, they're selling retail and the prices will be higher. Selling wholesale to Jeffrey and him reselling it would probably wind up being very similar prices, so long as he has enough volume to buy wholesale.

The last I spoke with him, he said he didn't carry a lot of artisinal stuff because he didn't have a huge market for it - but he said he would love to if he had more call and more people asking for it...