• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry in Vegas: what should I see

Hi!

Was wondering if my fellow egullet posters could help me out. I'm going to Vegas in Feb and am looking at visiting some great pastry shops or places to get dessert.

I see that Jean Philippe Maury has a shop in the Bellagio.

Anywhere else I should be going?

Thanks in advance!

Check out Frederic Robert's pastries at The Wynn and now Encore Hotels.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Jean-Philippe Maury Patisserie at the Bellagio has world-class pastries, complete with a chocolate fountain for viewing, not eating. You can also buy chocolates, croissants and made-to-order crepes (savory & sweet).

Payard Patisserie at Caesar's have similiar items without the chocolate fountain. Mind you, they have a bistro where you can sit down and order a plated dessert or two or three.

Arguably, Lenotre at Paris Las Vegas is the best patisserie in Las Vegas to some. I've never had any of their products yet. I'll need to find out for myself.

Bouchon Bakery at the Venetian has some wonderful baked goods. The location is a bit hard to find. The Bakery is on the other side of the resort, away from Bouchon the restaurant on the 2nd floor. If you're staying at the Venetian, you can see the bakery when you enter & exit the guest elevators.

Frederic Robert's pastries and other delights can be found at the Wynn/Encore Resorts. He had his own place called Chocolat, but that closed. He's working for the entire Wynn/Encore Resorts. It would be nice if Chef Robert can get his own place back.

There are a few artisanal chocolate places spread throughout here and there along the Strip. For example, Vosges is located inside Caesar's Forum Shops, close to the Las Vegas Blvd. (The Strip) entrance on the ground floor, next to Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab. Buy Mo's Bacon Bar.

As for plated desserts, you can usually find them at most of the high-end fine-dining restaurants: Joel Robuchon, Guy Savoy, Alex, Spago Las Vegas, etc.

I hope this helps.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 2 weeks later...

The two pastry chefs in Las Vegas that are currently getting the attention of the food writers are Vanessa Garcia at Restaurant Charlie at The Palazzo and Sarah Kosikowski at Michael Mina at Bellagio. I'd describe their desserts as creative twists on classics. The presentations are gorgeous, but not pretentious. Of course, you do have to build up to dessert at both restaurants with multiple courses of delicious cuisine focused on seafood.