• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird soda question

scottie

My husband is looking for a beast which probably does not exist. Does anyone out there know of a diet, aspartame-and Splenda-free soda which still contains caffeine?

He is willing to give up the artificial sweeteners, but not the caffeine. There appear to be some Stevia-sweetened sodas, but they are all caffeine-free. The ideal would be a diet China Cola.

Alternatively, has anyone out there ever heard of a caffeinated seltzer or club soda type beverage? Weird, I know. Thanks!

Edited by scottie (log)

So far, a search on Google has yielded this article which mentions a product called Zevia. According to the FAQ:

ZEVIA® Natural Cola is naturally caffeinated with 45 mgs of natural caffeine derived from coffee. Compare this to 45.6 mgs. in Diet Coke®, and 36 mgs. in Diet Pepsi®. ZEVIA® Natural Ginger Root Beer, ZEVIA® Natural Orange and ZEVIA® Natural Twist are caffeine-free.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Nature's Flavors sells over 150 different Italian Soda syrups with xylitol, a sugar alcohol that doesn't have the weird fennel aftertaste that stevia has. I have no idea how much caffeine the different flavors have.

Around Christmas-time I read an article saying that Coke, Pepsi, and even Dr. Pepper are planning to market stevia flavored sodas later this year.

Too bad Manhattan Special doesn't have a stevia flavored soda: you'd be able to monitor your sugar intake and load up on caffeine at the same time. ;)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Alternatively, has anyone out there ever heard of a caffeinated seltzer or club soda type beverage? Weird, I know. Thanks!

There's Water Joe, it isn't carbonated, but a seltzer bottle will fix that. Anyway, you could add flavors and sweeteners to it, or just drink it.