• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Rolls and Sticky Buns - Bake-Off XVI

Kerry Beal

I think Dorie Greenspan has a recipe in "Baking: From My Home to Yours" in which she uses her brioche dough as the base of sticky buns. I made them for my Dad (a hard-core sticky bun aficionado) when I was home last year - they were decadent, but fabulous.

Very nice, Iguana. And one of the things I like about your buns...and will do it next time...is that you made them in a round pan. I made mine according to directions, in a 9x13 pan, and as it obvious in my photo, they don't quite fit onto my largest platter. If made in a smaller pan would they not puff up a bit to make them taller instead of just wider?

Next time. Next time, also from a brioche dough...maybe that of RLB.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Question:

When I was a kid my Mother used to buy Chelsea buns from the corner Loblaws (we are talking almost 60 years ago) and the topping was sweet, but much darker than the ones I made or the photos of the many recipes I have looked at. And the flavor was well, deeper? or something?

How does one get that really dark sweet flavor? More cinnamon? Darker brown sugar? Well, that makes sense. Something else?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

At least a partial answer to my question about where the dark in dark sticky buns comes from. Chef Zoe says that a dark pan will bake the buns darker than a light pan. I used a pyrex pan. So much for color...but what about taste?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 months later...

October 4th is National Cinnamon Bun Day. Are you celebrating? :) I have a pan of them baking in the oven as I type.

I did not know that - wonder if it is too late to get started?

• 9 years later...