• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining near the Rue du Temple

jeffperez62

I am renting a loft on Rue du Temple near Rue Reaumur for a week in March.

Any restaurants of note or gourmet/wine shops I should hit??

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Rue de Bretagne, which is the continuation of Rue Reaumur heading east, has a number of wonderful gourmet shops right around Rue Charlot; and Marche des Enfants is fun, especially on the weekends. There's also a great wine shop on Rue Charlot just north of Rue de Bretagne.

We liked Breizh Cafe for delicious crepes (109, rue Vielle du Temple) and Le Cafe des Musees (49, rue de Turenne) for dinner on Sunday. These are within a ten minute walk.

Check on John Talbott's blog and posts as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

last year we also rented an apartment in the same area and we would heartily agree to the two suggestions mentioned in the above post. definitely worth the visit

quote:

<We liked Breizh Cafe for delicious crepes (109, rue Vielle du Temple) and Le Cafe des Musees (49, rue de Turenne) for dinner on Sunday. These are within a ten minute walk.>

alienor now in freezing n.h can't wait till we are back in france in april-,but i will have to....

Within about 3 blocks:

Au Bascou, 38, Rue Réaumur, Telephone: 01.42.72.69.25

Au Fil des Saisons 6 rue des Fontaines du Temple Telephone: 01 42 74 16 60

Café des Techniques, Musée des Arts et Métiers, 60 rue Réamur, 01 53 01 82 83,. Sunday brunch includes museum entry.

Pramil: 9, rue du Vertbois, Tel: 01 42 72 03 60

404, 69 rue de Gravilliers, Tel: 08 26 10 09 84

Chez Omar, 47 Rue de Bretagne, 01 42 72 36 26

The take-out options at the Marché des Enfants Rouges are great: Moroccan, Japanese, Italian, etc. There is an extraordinarily good boulangerie open only part of the week (try the blinis!), a wine shop that sells homemade sausages and several greengrocers. The shops along rue de Bretagne at that point include a fabulous poultry merchant and a great cheese shop.

All: M° Temple ou Arts-et-Métier

As for farther afield, there's a new branch of Rose Café on rue Debelleyme near Le Pamphlet and tons of good places in the Marais. I agree that you shouldn't miss Breizh Café.

I'd second Breizh, Bascou, Pramil + Cartouche, which is farther away but superb and I'd also add Les Chineurs, report here.

But as I keep repeating, Paris is so easily traversed and negotiated, you need not limit yourself to the neighborhood, everything is a few Metro stops away.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

My affectation for the 2009 guide was the IIIe arrondissement so I travelled the area wide and far throughout the Summer. here's my pick, negative and positive:

- Au Bascou: non. It was even removed from the guide. My last meal there was a very bad joke.

- Chez Omar: there are much, much better couscous elsewhere. This is, for the most part, a hyped place. You may go there for the nice old café setting, for the lamb kidney brochettes and the short but fairly interesting wine list.

- Breizh Café: much too expensive for crêpes but the quality is excellent. So is the cider and poiré list.

- 404 : at least the couscous is better than at Chez Omar. Expensive though, and the seating is very close-apart. The setting is gorgeous though.

- Chez Nénesse, rue de Saintonge: go there if you want to see what a real traditional Paris bistrot used to look like. Don't expect miracles with the food though.

- L'Estaminet des Zouaves, at the Marché des Enfants-Rouges: sit at one of the outside tables and order grilled pig's trotter if you like that. It is probably the best in Paris.

- Taeko, at the Marché des Enfants-Rouges: delicious home-style Japanese food. Do not go there on Saturday.

- Fulvio: bear in mind that one antipasto plate serves two. No kidding.

- Le Progrès, rue de Bretagne: great for snacking (the terrine de campagne is highly recommended).

- My best meal was at Le Café des Musées.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

I should have given my opinions of the places I listed upthread, but was in a hurry at the time and just reeled off everything I could think of in the immediate area.

I agree with Ptipois about Au Bascou, I never understood what the big deal was...l'Ami Jean is soooo much better.

Although I prefer 404 to Chez Omar, I think both of them fail to hold a candle to La Table de Fez.

I didn't particularly like my one meal at Pramil 2 years ago, I thought the chef overreached.

Chez Nenesse is, I think, too expensive for the 'real traditional bistro' experience, but it certainly looks right, I agree.

I've had several very good meals at Café des Musées, and one mediocre one. On the whole a great choice.

Le Progrès is a lot of fun to hang out in, and although it's become more and more 'in', it's miles better than that new-ish Costes place down the street.

I like Chez Janou for the bar and the outdoor seating, although the food isn't anything special. It just looks like a movie version of Paris.

- Breizh Café: much too expensive for crêpes but the quality is excellent. So is the cider and poiré list.

- My best meal was at Le Café des Musées.

While Breizh was expensive, I don't think it was much too expensive, as the crepes were light years beyond any I've had anywhere else. Many of the fillings were market based, which is also different than you get at a lot of places.

And Cafe des Musees was such a pleasant surprise, I wish we had time to head back there for another meal...food cooked with care, and best fried potatoes I've had in a long time.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

While Breizh was expensive, I don't think it was much too expensive, as the crepes were light years beyond any I've had anywhere else.  Many of the fillings were market based, which is also different than you get at a lot of places.

As crêpes go in Paris, I grant you that Breizh Café is above average. As buckwheat crêpes go in Brittany, Breizh Café is just OK. Sometimes their crêpes are too dry, not buttered enough.

Crêperie Le Pot O' Lait on rue Censier has market-based fillings and the crêpes have excellent texture. Much less hyped, therefore less expensive, than Breizh Café.

Ptipois, I seem to have missed which guide you mentioned...Pudlo, Michelin, Fooding?

Fooding. Sorry, I thought the discussion on Le Fooding's "Trop bon" category was on this thread, actually it wasn't.

If I were working for the Michelin I wouldn't even post here. I would lurk regularly :biggrin:

Let me throw one more in the mix: Le Gaigne which I reported on is a few blocks away at 12, rue Pecquay in the 4th, 01.44.59.86.72, closed Tuesday – thus open Saturday, Sunday, Mondays, the young chef – Mickael Gaignon – passed through the shops of the Pre Catalan, Gagnaire + Gaya. We've been there 4 times (as recently as yesterday) and have been pleased.

John Talbott

Well, just today, Le Fooding put up Glou that they categorize as Vin sur Vin, so wine is covered. It's at

101, r. Vieille du Temple

75003 PARIS

T 01 42 74 44 32

m° Filles du Calvaire

Closed Tuesdays

Costs about 30 €.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

Well, just today, Le Fooding put up Gulu that they categorize as Vin sur Vin, so wine is covered. It's at

75003 PARIS

T 01 42 74 44 32

m° Filles du Calvaire

Closed Tuesdays

Costs about 30 €.

Wasn't that GLOU?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Yup, correction made. Yikes.

Well, just today, Le Fooding put up Glou that they categorize as Vin sur Vin, so wine is covered. It's at

75003 PARIS

T 01 42 74 44 32

m° Filles du Calvaire

Closed Tuesdays

Costs about 30 €.

Wasn't that GLOU?

John Talbott