• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

This whole $1000 knife discussion has led us astray. I think so many people have intense fear of knives that is unnecessary. If you're a chef and need to think about performance then care. Otherwise, go play Harry Potter, pick up a bunch of different wands/knives and see what feels best in your hand. 

So, going back to the mail order question. I want to propose a second option, which I know many knife geeks will argue about, but I love my EdgePro. You'll drop about $200, but it's a one-time expense. What do you get in return? A locked in angle (do the Sharpie trick once and never again), set up in less than a minute and done sharpening in less than 5 minutes, and they take hardly any space (I keep mine in its carrying case on a kitchen stool). I've had enough professional shapeners go at my knives and they don't do any better unless I've had a major trauma to the tip or heel.

And to the OP I do hope you'll continue looking locally - there will undoubtedly be someone in town that does quality work. And I do agree with someone above that you want a person who uses a stone not a wheel.

gfron1

gfron1

This whole $1000 knife discussion has led us astray. I think so many people have intense fear of knives that is unnecessary. If you're a chef and need to think about performance then care. Otherwise, go play Harry Potter, pick up a bunch of different wands/knives and see what feels best in your hand. 

So, going back to the mail order question. I want to propose a second option, which I know many knife geeks will argue about, but I love my EdgePro. You'll drop about $200, but it's a one-time expense. What do you get in return? A locked in angle (do the Sharpie trick once and never again), set up in less than a minute and done sharpening in less than 5 minutes, and they take hardly any space (I keep mine in its carrying case on a kitchen stool). I've had enough pros go at my knives and they don't do any better unless I've had a major trauma to the tip or heel.

And to the OP I do hope you'll continue looking locally - there will undoubtedly be someone in town that does quality work. And I do agree with someone above that you want a person who uses a stone not a wheel.

gfron1

gfron1

So, going back to the mail order question. I want to propose a second option, which I know many knife geeks will argue about, but I love my EdgePro. You'll drop about $200, but it's a one-time expense. What do you get in return? A locked in angle (do the Sharpie trick once and never again), set up in less than a minute and done sharpening in less than 5 minutes, and they take hardly any space (I keep mine in its carrying case on a kitchen stool). I've had enough pros go at my knives and they don't do any better unless I've had a major trauma to the tip or heel.

gfron1

gfron1

This whole $1000 knife discussion has led us astray. I think so many people have intense fear of knives that is unnecessary. If you're a chef and need to think about performance then care. Otherwise, go play Harry Potter, pick up a bunch of different wands/knives and see what feels best in your hand. I say that because I don't think price, rather I think metal. I like soft metal. (not trying to go astray but to get back to sharpening) My whites are so much easier to put a razor edge on than my old Globals for example.