• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick dry-aged steak question

Emily_R

Hi folks --

I think this question may have gotten lost in the other thread... I've got a dry-aged roast that has been cryovacked and marked with a "use by" date of tomorrow. I'd really like to wait a few more days, as my husband has a nasty cold and won't be able to taste much of anything if I cook it tonight or tomorrow. Any idea if I can safely keep it for a few more days? Should I leave it cryovacked, or should I unwrap it, and let it sit somewhere "dry" for a few more days -- and where might that be? Our fridge? Our chilly basement? Help!

Thanks in advance...

Emily

If it's already been dry-aged and then cryovacked, then you're basically double-aging it, with round two a wet-aging stint. If there's no oxygen in there, then you're almost certainly fine.

I was worried about the fact that it does seem like this is now wet-aging it. Is that going to ruin it? Should I take it out of the cryovack to let it continue to be "dry"?

But glad to hear that it can wait for another few days...

At this point, another day or two in the packaging isn't going to have an appreciable effect on the meat, I think. If it's been dry-aged by someone skillful, it's lost a good percentage of its weight in lost moisture, and more time in the bag won't really do any significant wet aging. However, if it's swimming around in a lot of liquid, then it wasn't well aged. Of course, if it has puffed up at all, then you've got garbage.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Did you purchase mail order and from what source?

Most of my purchasing is cut right from the primal dry aged piece.-Dick

The story of my windfall dry-aged strip roast is towards the bottom of this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=120581&st=60

And thanks Chris -- there is not much liquid in the cryovack at all, so I'll just leave it be for another few days...

Emily