• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Fernand Point's "Siberian Omelet"

phan1

OK, I'm flipping through Fernand Point's much heralded Ma Gastronomy where I stop at his "Omelette Siberienne" dish and think to myself "NO F'N WAY!".

Paraphrasing here: He mixes together egg yolks and sugar until fluffy, and then he folds it into a meringue made from the left over egg whites. He then dumps half the mixture into a pan and bakes it and cools it. He then puts some very cold and hard ice cream on top, and dumps the rest of the mixture in and bakes it. After it has risen, you serve it immediately.

Now right here, I'm thinking this pretty much a hot souffle with cold ice cream inside. GENIUS. But I'm also thinking, "does this actually work?". I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a recipe. I think I'll attempt it but I'd like input from other people first.

I know most "Siberian Omelets" are the same thing as baked alaskas where you have ice cream encrusted in meringue. But this recipe is different and looks like a souffle with ice cream inside...

OK, I'm flipping through Fernand Point's much heralded Ma Gastronomy where I stop at his "Omelette Siberienne" dish and think to myself "NO F'N WAY!".

Paraphrasing here:  He mixes together egg yolks and sugar until fluffy, and then he folds it into a meringue made from the left over egg whites.  He then dumps half the mixture into a pan and bakes it and cools it.  He then puts some very cold and hard ice cream on top, and dumps the rest of the mixture in and bakes it.  After it has risen, you serve it immediately.

Now right here, I'm thinking this pretty much a hot souffle with cold ice cream inside.  GENIUS.  But I'm also thinking, "does this actually work?".  I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a recipe.  I think I'll attempt it but I'd like input from other people first.

I know most "Siberian Omelets" are the same thing as baked alaskas where you have ice cream encrusted in meringue.  But this recipe is different and looks like a souffle with ice cream inside...

The man tests us, doesn't he? Are you going to give it a try?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

OK, I tried it. How was it? FAIL! I'm thinking that the modern interpretation of a siberian omlette as being ice cream encased in baked meringue is a refinement of the recipe. It was never supposed to be a souffle in the first place.