• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor de Damiana

gfron1

Thanks. I didn't realize this was a common liquor or I would have just googled. I was led to believe it was a rare, exotic liquor. Can someone give me insight into the taste. I want to use it but won't be able to get it in the next few weeks.

• 5 weeks later...

If you're interested in a liquor with aphrodisiac qualities (be they truth or legend) you may want to try and find some Mama Juana - it's a rum/red wine/honey mixture that is flavored with a variety of local herbs and barks.

I just had some in the Dominican Republic. I can't testify to any aphrodisiac properties - as I didn't care for the flavor - none the less - I just pass along the information available at hand

I have half a bottle of Damiana left and just tasted it to remind myself what it's like. I don't get any orange flavor, it's more of a light honey mixed with tequila flavor. I have been struggling to use it in drinks, but it's just kind of a sweet taste, nothing out of the ordinary. The bottle is great, Goddess shaped; but I didn't find the licor anything special, nor do I remember any "special" effects after drinking.

• 4 weeks later...
I have half a bottle of Damiana left and just tasted it to remind myself what it's like.  I don't get any orange flavor, it's more of a light honey mixed with tequila flavor.  I have been struggling to use it in drinks, but it's just kind of a sweet taste, nothing out of the ordinary.  The bottle is great, Goddess shaped; but I didn't find the licor anything special, nor do I remember any "special" effects after drinking.

There is a licor available in Mexico, and I have also seen in at Bev-Mo, called Agavero, A tasty blend of premium tequila and damiana---very delightful.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

• 8 years later...