• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot rack over sink/cutting board.

Paul Kierstead

We have a small kitchen with 8' ceilings. A reno is on tap for next year to expand cupboard space, but I don't see the pot storage problem getting a lot better soon. I keep looking at that ceiling space over my sink and cutting board area (side by side, sort of an island) with envy. I'm 6'. If I put it over, am I going to be banging my head off of skillets? I really hate banging my head...

What if you put (well supported) hooks directly on the ceiling so there was no height wasted by the pot rack? As long as you're careful not to hang any pots/tools longer than 20" in the space you should be OK?

or suspended some kind of shelf at 6'2" and set pots etc on it instead of hanging them?

Good luck - I hate low ceilings and at 5'4" I have a lot less to complain about than you do!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

If there is only two feet of clearance between your head and the ceiling, I would say that it's unlikely you'll want pans dangling from the ceiling where you are going to be working. Many frypans are more than two feet from the end of the handle to the other side of the pan.

--