• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York City Restaurant Economy 2009

Fat Guy

No, I don't see a prix fixe by Cru getting nearly the fame and widely good reputation of Jean George's prix fixe.

What does "point" mean in your example about the expediter (who, please remind me, does what exactly)?

Michael aka "Pan"

No, I don't see a prix fixe by Cru getting nearly the fame and widely good reputation of Jean George's prix fixe.

Oh, I don't either. But the vast majority of high-end places are offering them in some form, and it strikes me as notable that Cru is not.

One change they did make, is to return to the former à la carte format; they opened that way, but were prix fixe for a while. It's not a cheap ALC, though, with most entrées $30 or higher. A tasting menu is still listed, at $135.

Oh, I don't either. But the vast majority of high-end places are offering them in some form, and it strikes me as notable that Cru is not.

One change they did make, is to return to the former à la carte format; they opened that way, but were prix fixe for a while. It's not a cheap ALC, though, with most entrées $30 or higher. A tasting menu is still listed, at $135.

Well, sort of. It's literally not on the menu any more. And it's $125 instead of $135 now. It really seems more that they forgot to update the website, and I wouldn't have known about it had I not clicked on the oddly titled "seasonal" section on the site. One of the servers mentioned that they generally only told diners who "looked like they might appreciate it" about the tasting menu, and cited the expense of keeping the appropriate seasonal ingredients in stock as a reason (in addition to wanting to keep the apparent price point lower) for not actually including the tasting on the menu.

I've had my eye on Cru for a while, thanks for the positive report. I've resisted going specifically cause a) lack of good reports b) their online menu still lists fresh black truffles some three months after the season is over, and likely hasn't changed in twice that long. I like to at least get a sense for how a restaurants menu evolves as the seasons change before I commit. I do like their "hundreds under $100" wine menu, takes the edge off the potentially snooty air of a "wine restaurant".

What does "point" mean in your example about the expediter (who, please remind me, does what exactly)?

Well nobody keeps their tips, they are pooled. Then every FOH employee is assigned points, like maybe a captain is 10 points, a server is 8, an SA is 6, runner 4 etc. Bartenders are in their somewhere too. So then all the pooled tips are divided amongst the total points to create a point value, like every point on a goodnight might be $20, and on a horrible night $5. So the more people on the floor, the fewer points there are to spread around. Thats how you pay out tips.

The expediter is the bridge between the kitchen and the FOH. Its usually jut a senior runner.

EDIT: Anyways thats not really important. The point is that more covers at a lower check average is not going to help you in a sense, in less you staff the floor really "creatively".

Edited by Sethro (log)

EDIT: Anyways thats not really important. The point is that more covers at a lower check average is not going to help you in a sense, in less you staff the floor really "creatively".

Now that you've explained it, I'm afraid I am still having trouble with the math. Obviously you're right that a $35 dinner results in a lower tip than a $70 dinner. But it results in a higher tip than an empty seat.

So why do you say it's a losing proposition to extend "deals" that pull people into the restaurant, into seats that would otherwise be empty?

Now that you've explained it, I'm afraid I am still having trouble with the math. Obviously you're right that a $35 dinner results in a lower tip than a $70 dinner. But it results in a higher tip than an empty seat.

So why do you say it's a losing proposition to extend "deals" that pull people into the restaurant, into seats that would otherwise be empty?

I think the crux of the matter, if I'm getting this right, is that with fewer covers, you need fewer FOH staff, so the tips go further. Filling seats at a lower price means more tips but at a lower rate and a greater need for added staff. I guess it's a matter of striking the right balance.

Christopher

I've had my eye on Cru for a while, thanks for the positive report.  I've resisted going specifically cause a) lack of good reports b) their online menu still lists fresh black truffles some three months after the season is over, and likely hasn't changed in twice that long.  I like to at least get a sense for how a restaurants menu evolves as the seasons change before I commit.  I do like their "hundreds under $100" wine menu, takes the edge off the potentially snooty air of a "wine restaurant".

I've never understood why people don't talk about Cru more. I have had several AMAZING meals there.

I think the crux of the matter, if I'm getting this right, is that with fewer covers, you need fewer FOH staff, so the tips go further. Filling seats at a lower price means more tips but at a lower rate and a greater need for added staff. I guess it's a matter of striking the right balance.

Christopher

That and of course it is illegal to be payed in tips alone so everyone is getting wages too. The tip pooling problem is more of a quality of service issue that I shouldn't have bothered mentioning since its confusing I guess.