• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes That Rock: 2009

maggiethecat

New Year, new culinary horizons. As in Recipes That Rock: 2008, let us know a first-time recipe you've tried since the ball dropped in Times Square. It doesn't have to be a 2009 recipe, just something new to you. That rocks the house. I can't wait to hear from you and expand my knowledge and, um, waistline.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Love love love this thread, and can't wait to read it... In addition I just wanted to share my new year's resolution for the past two years -- one which I've proudly managed to fulfill.. Each year I resolved to make at least one new-to-me recipe every week. This past year I kept track of each new recipe I made, the date I made it, the source of the recipe, and what I thought about it. I just love looking back and seeing all the recipes I tried that became instant house favorites! Just a thought for all you other food lovers looking for a fun new year's resolution to make...

Love love love this thread, and can't wait to read it... In addition I just wanted to share my new year's resolution for the past two years -- one which I've proudly managed to fulfill.. Each year I resolved to make at least one new-to-me recipe every week. This past year I kept track of each new recipe I made, the date I made it, the source of the recipe, and what I thought about it. I just love looking back and seeing all the recipes I tried that became instant house favorites! Just a thought for all you other food lovers looking forurs, while I post my own a fun new year's resolution to make...

Emily, you're a Goddess, what can I say? I am firmly in the camp of one new recipe a week, and will look eagerly for yours as I post mine.

A brilliant new recipe can perk up kids, a dinner table and a marriage. Rock on.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Love love love this thread, and can't wait to read it... In addition I just wanted to share my new year's resolution for the past two years -- one which I've proudly managed to fulfill.. Each year I resolved to make at least one new-to-me recipe every week. This past year I kept track of each new recipe I made, the date I made it, the source of the recipe, and what I thought about it. I just love looking back and seeing all the recipes I tried that became instant house favorites! Just a thought for all you other food lovers looking for a fun new year's resolution to make...

ok, girlfriend

start the freakin thread. two or three years ago we had the soup thread and this sounds like a winner.....

off you go now and begin. i have been storing up recipes to try once my prime cookin' time begins - like next week.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This year I have decided to follow Michael Pollan's advice...to eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Just this past month I had the opportunity to hear Steve Sando from Rancho Gordo beans speak in Los Angeles to the Culinary Historical Society. I had purchased Rancho Gordo heirloom beans at the San Francisco Farmer's market while on a short trip in the spring so I was familiar with their beans. Well, he got me so hyped up about beans that I bought his book and I placed an order.

The first beans I prepared in 2009 were the Christmas Lima Beans. I have never had them before and they are said to have a bit of a chestnutt flavor. Actually the dish I prepared was with some sauteed onion, carrot and celery and some carmelized Crimini mushrooms added. It was very delicious...a real earthy taste. Yes, I could say a hint of chestnutt. I cooked them long and slow on the stovetop and they became thick and creamy with a little bite to the beans. I served the beans over a little al dente pasta, some grated parmesano reggiano on top with a drizzle of oil...wonderful. With a mixed green salad...what more could I want!

Can't wait to try some of the other varieties. (I even saved a few of the dry beans to see if I can sow them in the spring.)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Braised short ribs will probably remain amongst my favourites for winter forever. This was a slightly new riff on my standard - in the last step the the beef ribs are removed from the liquid and roasted until their edges are crisp again, and also the additions and accompaniments: served with rich pureed potatoes, sauteed swiss chard, pearl onions, and horseradish cream.

I found this on Smitten Kitchen who adapted it from Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

Smitten Kitchen

It's so nice to find a new take on an old favourite. This dish was wonderful and the perfect antidote to the current ghastly weather.

Rover

This Arugula, Bacon, and Gruyère Bread Pudding from December's Gourmet was wonderful. All mixed together, before adding the custard mixture, it looks like a delightful BLT panzanella. Then it bakes up looking just like the picture. It's a great flavor/texture combination - creamy eggs mixture, smooth and crunchy bread, savory bacon and cheese, peppery arugula.

It made me think that summer:bread salad as winter:bread pudding. Great reasons to save ends of bread.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

My latest Recipe that Rocks may not be new to the rest of you - but it is my newest favorite. It's Prasantrin's Mango Pudding - put into recipeGullet back in 2005. I saw it mentioned in a dessert thread a short while back and made it for the first time today.

I found 30 ounce cans of Kesar mango pulp (thought I'd bought Alphonso until we checked out the cans in the car). The only changes I made to the recipe were to use 1 cup milk in place of one of the cups of heavy cream and cut the sugar down to 1 cup.

It is a lovely light textured, but strongly mango flavoured dessert. Just the right amount of gelatin - not at all rubbery - unlike other mango puddings I have had in the past.

Mango Pudding

Thanks Rona!

This Arugula, Bacon, and Gruyère Bread Pudding from December's Gourmet was wonderful.  All mixed together, before adding the custard mixture, it looks like a delightful BLT panzanella.  Then it bakes up looking just like the picture.  It's a great flavor/texture combination - creamy eggs mixture, smooth and crunchy bread, savory bacon and cheese, peppery arugula. 

It made me think that summer:bread salad as winter:bread pudding.  Great reasons to save ends of bread.

I've printed this out and will for sure make it, with whatever subs are dictated by the contents of my fridge. Looks amazing.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

My first post on eGullet! Yes!

I made a potato, bacon and rosemary pizza for some friends yesterday, making my pizza dough using my new KitchenAid (actually, my parents' old one, since they upgraded), with some double-smoked bacon and Parmigiano. First time I played around with a pizza like this one...will definitely make again!

My first post on eGullet!  Yes!

I made a potato, bacon and rosemary pizza for some friends yesterday, making my pizza dough using my new KitchenAid (actually, my parents' old one, since they upgraded), with some double-smoked bacon and Parmigiano.  First time I played around with a pizza like this one...will definitely make again!

Welcome! The pizza sounds fabulous.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

My first post on eGullet!  Yes!

I made a potato, bacon and rosemary pizza for some friends yesterday, making my pizza dough using my new KitchenAid (actually, my parents' old one, since they upgraded), with some double-smoked bacon and Parmigiano.  First time I played around with a pizza like this one...will definitely make again!

This sounds like a great combo -- how did you deal with the potatoes? Did you cook them first and cube them? Or slice them thinly?

This sounds like a great combo -- how did you deal with the potatoes? Did you cook them first and cube them? Or slice them thinly?

As thin as I could possibly get them on the mandoline, then raw onto the pizza and into the oven. I'll admit they didn't pick up as much color as I'd have liked, but I was afraid of overcooking my crust. Some nicely rendered lardons and some fresh rosemary...delicious.

Here's a link to the picture.

This year I have decided to follow Michael Pollan's advice...to eat food, not too much, mostly plants.  Just this past month I had the opportunity to hear Steve Sando from Rancho Gordo beans speak in Los Angeles to the Culinary Historical Society.  I had purchased Rancho Gordo heirloom beans at the San Francisco Farmer's market while on a short trip in the spring so I was familiar with their beans.  Well, he got me so hyped up about beans that I bought his book and I placed an order.

The first beans I prepared in 2009 were the Christmas Lima Beans.  I have never had them before and they are said to have a bit of a chestnutt flavor.  Actually the dish I prepared was with some sauteed onion, carrot and celery and some carmelized Crimini mushrooms added.  It was very delicious...a real earthy taste.  Yes, I could say a hint of chestnutt.  I cooked them long and slow on the stovetop and they became thick and creamy with a little bite to the beans.  I served the beans over a little al dente pasta, some grated parmesano reggiano on top with a drizzle of oil...wonderful.  With a mixed green salad...what more could I want!

Can't wait to try some of the other varieties.  (I even saved a few of the dry beans to see if I can sow them in the spring.)

My 'first beans' of 2009, and my favorite meal so far also came from Rancho Gordo. Here in the south, one cannot properly prepare oneself to attack a new year without fortification in the luck department with some black-eyed peas. This year, instead of the usual old dried variety from our local super, I planned ahead (also New Year's resolution) and ordered some black calypsos from Rancho Gordo. They were vastly superior to what we usually get. Also, Rancho Gordo talks a lot about cooking in earthware. We have an electric stove, so I've been hesitant to put my clay beanpot from Mexico directly on the burner. The result is that I haven't yet used it for anything other than to stand attractively on my kitchen counter and hold cooking utensils. Well, for Christmas, I got a gas grill and it even has one burner on the outside. So even though it was cold on New Year's Day, I put those black-eyed calypsos in my Mexican olla (bean pot), threw in some onion, garlic, and the hambone from the Christmas ham, and let them simmer out there all day.

One of the best meals I've ever had. And I ain't going back.

Now I've just got my fingers crossed for that good luck! But the Rancho Gordo calypsos were so good that even if they don't bring me luck, I'll still come out ahead.

And I really do think that cooking in clay over an open fire made a difference.

So what if those beautiful calypso beans weren't actually official 'black-eyed peas.' I never really liked the taste of black-eyed peas all that much and, to tell the truth, they haven't performed all that well in the 'luck' category either.

I think a new tradition is born!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Cutlets With Mustard Sauce from the Feb. 2009 Food and Wine. Rich, delicious, easier than I expected.

Your link didn't work. (Love the cat.)

Oops, had an extra punctuation mark in the link. I edited my original post and the quote above to work.

That's my cat Oreo, who mostly just gets in the way :).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Speaking of Rancho Gordo beans, for New Years Eve (that's 2009, right?), I made Molly Stevens' Escarole Braised with Cannellini Beans, made with RG's runner cannellinis. Served with a simple roasted tenderloin and red wine pan gravy.

Well, that is just about one of the best way to serve beans I have tried yet. And I have been completely in love with RG cannellini beans and tuscan bean soup and its variants for years. I think there were a few things that contributed to the extra yumminess this time:

- I pre-brined the beans, as suggested in the March/April 2008 Cooks Illustrated. Even though I didn't plan ahead very well and it was only a few hours, I still find this helps keep the skins nice and whole, and rounds out the flavor of the beans.

- For the first time, I cooked the beans in a crock pot. And they took FOREVER. Which didn't matter, because I had started them ahead, anyway. But my new crock pot, purchased for $30 at the hardware store, took about 6 hours -- on High, mind you -- to finally get the beans up to a simmer and get them cooked. They were perfectly creamy, but still firm, not mushy, and with skins completely intact.

- The lemon juice (I used meyer lemons) and olive oil added at the end of this dish makes it transcendent. And the flavors are still there when you reheat the leftovers a day or two later.

There's another batch of beans brining tonight, getting ready for the crock pot during tomorrow's winter storm. Cannellinis again...I meant to try borlottis or some other kind, but at the last minute I just had to repeat the previous experience. This is how ruts set in...

I know lots of people have All About Braising for the meat recipes, but I haven't been able to get out of the vegetable chapter -- this book has completely changed the way I cook.

- L.

I have been cooking out of Ina Garten's new cookbook, back to basics Fabulous Flavor from Simple Ingredients. I don't know if anyone else has that book, and if we should start a thread about it. Everything that we have made from there is really simple and really delicious. The recipes have such great combinations of flavors.

The Cape Cod Chopped Salad is wonderful. We substitute a Pink Lady apple for the Granny Smith, because they are my new favorite apple. (They are really wonderful!) We have made that 3 or 4 times.

The Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli is amazing. That we have made 5 or 6 times.

Roasted Shrimp Cocktail. Who would think that such a simple technique would give such a delicious result. I don't think that I will ever boil or even steam shrimp again. The cocktail sauce is really good too.

Savory Palmiers will now always be in our freezer. Great appies at the ready.

I think that the Italian Wedding Soup might be next.

Is anyone else cooking from that book?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I have been cooking out of Ina Garten's new cookbook, back to basics  Fabulous Flavor from Simple Ingredients. I don't know if anyone else has that book, and if we should start a thread about it. Everything that we have made from there is really simple and really delicious. The recipes have such great combinations of flavors.

The Cape Cod Chopped Salad is wonderful. We substitute a Pink Lady apple for the Granny Smith, because they are my new favorite apple. (They are really wonderful!) We have made that 3 or 4 times.

The Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli is amazing. That we have made 5 or 6 times.

Roasted Shrimp Cocktail. Who would think that such a simple technique would give such a delicious result. I don't think that I will ever boil or even steam shrimp again. The cocktail sauce is really good too.

Savory Palmiers will now always be in our freezer. Great appies at the ready.

I think that the Italian Wedding Soup might be next.

Is anyone else cooking from that book?

I don't have the book, but I saw the show where she made the Roasted Shrimp Cocktail and it looked really good. It seems to me she gets a bad rap on this board, but I find a lot of her recipes are quite tasty.

As thin as I could possibly get them on the mandoline, then raw onto the pizza and into the oven. I'll admit they didn't pick up as much color as I'd have liked, but I was afraid of overcooking my crust. Some nicely rendered lardons and some fresh rosemary...delicious.

Here's a link to the picture.

Wow, ICF, that is one BEAUTIFUL pie! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"