• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2009 Saveur 100 Declares "the eGullet Era"

Chris Amirault

As Steven noted in this announcement, Saveur magazine has included the eGullet Society in their yearly "Saveur 100" for 2009, on newsstands now. (Congrats also to emeritus staff member Sam Kinsey [slkinsey], whose home-cooking prowess and deft touch with tongs are also given propers in the list!)

I'm writing to thank and congratulate all of the Society members for this honor. Saveur wrote that they love how the community we have built "has brought cooks together and democratized the world of food." Those cooks are you, our terrific Society membership, whose fervent interest in food and drink, in cooking and eating, make eG Forums the outstanding resource that it is.

Not yet a participating member -- or wanting to become a donor and support the eGullet Society? You can join by clicking here, and you can become a donor by clicking here.

Meanwhile, please share your congratulations in this topic in celebration of this wonderful acknowledgment of our eGullet Society!

Here's to a lip-smacking 2009!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This is a wonderful way to start the year! And how terrific that such a respected publication understands what members and volunteers have built here: the best -- perhaps the only serious -- resource for advanced amateur cooks in any medium. Props to Saveur, and congratulations to all who contribute to eG Forums and the Society.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I managed to find a copy of Saveur while I was in Seoul over the holidays, and was thrilled to tear into it and see our name in print.

I have learned more about food and cooking in my three short years here than I could have ever hoped by myself. Not only has this community given me solid information on how to cook - I would have starved or gone broke for sure with all the amazing posters in the regional forums; but it's given me the inspiration to try new cuisines, learn new techniques, and approach new ingredients with confidence. I know that if I come home with something strange or random from the supermarket, someone, somewhere on the forums will know what to do with it. The world answers, indeed.

For me personally, there is defintely a pre and post eGullet era in my life.

I've learned so much, and met some wonderful people.

My wish for the next era is, that more people from all over the planet will join - and by that I mean Swedish people from Sweden, South African people from South Africa, etc. - to make this even more a truly international database of food knowledge.

Last night they had a party in Saveur's offices to celebrate the 2009 Saveur 100. I was amazed at how many of the people there were eGullet Society members. It was a pleasure to see all of you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

Sincere congratulations!

For those who have yet to see this issue, here's a telling quote:

"...Kinsey's home cooking is anything but amateur; his style is energetic, creative, and informed by tricks of the trade."

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog