• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen work and disability

Tiger Black

I have a problem. Bear with me while I try to explain it.

I'm blind. I have a visual processing disorder wherein I often don't see things that are there. My eyes take quite a bit longer to send visual signals to my brain. I am also legally blind with correction. The real problem happens because I have some vision. Enough vision, in fact, to appear quite capable. This is largely because I was a mainstreamed child. i.e. the focus was very much on having me appear normal rather than providing me with assistance like a long white cane. (which I have now after twenty four years) Because of this I had to get very good at not getting killed. Also, I think the general perception of blindness is you must have zero vision, and because I do, the assumption is that I must have very minor issues.

I have worked in kitchens, but its been a struggle. Largely I think the struggle is there because of my disability. I am always up front about it but again, the assumption that my problems must be minor comes up and I get in trouble for any number of little things that I am just never going to be great at. (sweeping the floors being the biggest example)

While I plan on working in psychology, I've always thought of one day opening a tiny restaurant. I can't do that without experience. But I'm scared of trying again. My last job was in a kitchen that was pretty allright, but there was a lot of going back and forth over stuff like this.

I want to make it clear that I do try and I am a good worker in my estimation. I know I can cook and I have some talent, but there are some serious gaps in my knowledge and I don't know how to succeed.

If anyone has any advice, I would be most appreciative.

Hard to say much without knowing exactly how much you can see.

A few years ago I had an assistant who, due to albinism, had severely degenerated eyesight. He was hired as a line cook but it freaked the sous chefs out to watch him hold things 5 inches in front of his face to look at them, so he got sent to pastry. (he would say, 'I just can't see things far away' but far away appeared to be anything more than 6 inches.) Ironically, even though he was a line cook at heart and hated pastry, he did a way better job than my other assistant, who claimed to really want to be in pastry, but was really slow and not as talented overall. I guess my point is that desire to make it happen and desire to make good food can be more important than sight.

You're in Bellingham, did you ever hear about the restaurant in Seattle run entirely by blind and/or visually or hearing impaired people? It's closed now, but it was the Ragin' Cajun restaurant in the Pike Place Market. It can be done. It seems like organizing things so they are always in the same place would help a lot, so you don't have to look to see them, and if you could have a really easily cleanable kitchen that you could just hose down. Your ability to see small details will also determine what kind of food you are making. Braised lamb shanks on polenta are going to be easier to deal with than napoleons with fillo dough and micro greens.

Is school an option to fill in the gaps in your knowledge?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

... I've always thought of one day opening a tiny restaurant. I can't do that without experience. But I'm scared of trying again.

You said you worked in a kitchen before.

That's experience.

Learn all you can through books and osmosis.

You can do it.

It's ok to be scared.

Do it anyway but shoot for a big one.

My little Mother lost her vision after she retired.

Then she got her first computer.

Then she started a support group for sighted people

who lost their vision later in life and etc.

In 1993 she was honored by the Mayor of Hammond Indiana

"With the thanks of a grateful community..."

"In recognition of her spirit and determination in overcoming obstacles

to lead a productive life in service to the community."

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Edited by K8memphis (log)