• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Caramel

mostlylana

I am wanting to do a double layer filling for a molded chocolate for Valentine's day - maple caramel and dark chocolate ganache. I've been experimenting with maple caramel recipes and haven't found one that is perfect yet. I need help! The one I just finished making is just maple syrup, cream, glucose and butter. Very nice but very expensive. I tried another at the other end of the spectrum - a basic caramel recipe with maple extract added instead of vanilla - no maple syrup at all. Not bad but seems to lack the richness of the all maple syrup recipe. I tried another - kind of in the middle - with some maple syrup added but mostly sugar. I then added a little maple extract at the end as well as some vanilla. Not bad. Anyone have a winner that they would recommend? I know that there is a thread on Maple extracts but no winner seemed to rise out of the pack. I'm a natural girl so I'd love to find a tasty 'real' extract.

Thanks!

The one I just finished making is just maple syrup, cream, glucose and butter.  Very nice but very expensive.

That general idea would be my answer so if price excludes it I can't help. I don't like extracts and compounds as a general rule. Real vanilla and almond extracts, I'll use. That's about the extent of it. Pretty much anything else, if I can't get the flavor from the natural source, I just don't do it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This may not help but I've been playing around with imitation maple flavorings for cheaper maple candies but I've had no good successes so far. I was going to order this (http://cooksvanilla.com/index.php?p=view_product&product_id=38&gclid=CKrazKDZr5cCFQKNxwodnwLQiw) at some point...but I got lucky and my local market had quite a sale on maple syrup. The problem with the imitations were that they all had too much of a smoky flavor finish instead of the satisfying long lasting maple taste...alas.

Would you mind sharing your recipe?....it does sound quite tasty.

Thanks for the input. It's always helpful to get other people's takes. I have been meaning to try that Cook's natural maple extract as well. I think I'll order a few different natural ones and try them out. The maple caramel I made was an adaptation of a recipe I got at the first Callebaut course - Discovering Chocolate. Here's my adaptation:

500 g pure maple syrup

250 g heavy cream

100 g glucose

100 g butter

Cook together maple syrup, cream and glucose to 220F (you'll have to play with that temp. depending on the consistency you want. I went higher - 225F - and it was too thick for a sauce.) Remove from heat, add butter.

I'm now experimenting with different maple syrups - I've tried dark, amber and medium. I found the dark tasted too much like molasses. I like the amber - it's strong but still maintains that maple flavour. Have fun playing!

After experimenting, I'm going to go with a basic caramel recipe with some added maple syrup. I have a problem with this... the sauces I make this way are slightly grainy. I don't even like to use the word 'grainy' as it's more of a 'not completely smooth' sensation - I don't actually notice 'graininess'. So here's my recipe and this is how I do it:

200 g sugar

75 g glucose (corn syrup)

125 g maple syrup

275 g heavy cream

75 g butter

Carmelize sugar (dry method). Add glucose and maple syrup. When liquid again, add hot cream. Cook to 220F. Take off heat, add butter.

My regular caramel (similar recipe without the maple syrup) always turns out smooth and perfect. I'm wondering if adding the maple syrup at the same time as the glucose is the right time to add it? Maybe I should add it at the end?? If I do add it with the glucose, should I be bringing it back up to a certain temp. before adding the cream??

I'm not a caramel expert so any tips would be much appreciated.

My experiments with maple syrup caramel all resulted in a crystallized mess. I think maple syrup is quite prone to crystallization, sadly, and that's probably what you're picking up. I'd also be interested in any potential solutions...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

My experiments with maple syrup caramel all resulted in a crystallized mess. I think maple syrup is quite prone to crystallization, sadly, and that's probably what you're picking up. I'd also be interested in any potential solutions...

Can't you add small amounts or either lemon juice or tartaric acid, they are supposed to help stop crystallization.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Can't you add small amounts or either lemon juice or tartaric acid, they are supposed to help stop crystallization.

You can also try more glucose syrup and/or invert sugar. These two, along with acids, will help prevent crystallization. Take a look at Greweling, p. 178.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am using a copper pot for my caramel so haven't added an acid. Perhaps that's something to try. I'm thinking I will add more glucose than I originally had added and perhaps less cream. There is quite a high water content in maple syrup. I had looked at the Greweling 'doctor' remedies and was thinking of adding invert sugar at the end. I'll keep playing and see what finally works! There's such science to all of this isn't there?!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  I am using a copper pot for my caramel so haven't added an acid.  Perhaps that's something to try.  I'm thinking I will add more glucose than I originally had added and perhaps less cream.  There is quite a high water content in maple syrup.  I had looked at the Greweling 'doctor' remedies and was thinking of adding invert sugar at the end.  I'll keep playing and see what finally works!  There's such science to all of this isn't there?!

Could it possibly be as simple as just being extra careful to keep the sides washed down?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I am glad to hear I am not the only person who has heated up the Maple Syrup only to have it crystallize.

I tried doing this years ago and was frustrated with the process. Of course I just took the sugar mass I was left with, cooled it down, threw it in the processor and made some nice maple sugar that goes great as a topping on cappuccinos or sweetener for coffee.

I asked a local maple syrup producer who explained that there are different stages of maple syrup flow. The first is very light in flavour and contains a lot of water, as the tree "wakes" and the spring thaw continues then the tree draws up more nutrients from the root system providing the darker colouring and flavour.

She explained that the sugar content changes as well and only some of the maple syrup is suitable for toffees.

Unfortunately I can't remember which sugar stages were more suitable for caramel as I was discouraged with my first attempts and was stockpiling a lifetime supply of cappuccino toppings.

I will see if the expert is around and can help out again. She made a wicked maple butter but won't share the family recipe with me.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions too for this thread.

I am planning on making profiteroles, and would like to make a caramel using maple syrup, to cover their tops (as one would do for a St Honore). I thought I'd just cook plain maple syrup to hard crack, say 150-155 degrees C, then dip the choux as usual. Is this doable?

And has anyone figured out which maple syrup is the right one for toffees?

Thank you.

Diana

I'd say yes, in theory, but it will depend on the maple you use.

The darkest grades of maple syrup are the best for the toffees - they're lower on water and higher on sugars and in my experience at least have the least issue with graininess when heated past 100 C. If you're very lucky and have a sugarbush near you, you can sometimes ask the sucriers about the black grades of syrup, which are so dark that they're not normally sold to the public, but which are perfect for confection.

Incidentally, the maple taffy made at Caban a Sucre festivals is of C grade or darker, and that never has any issues whatsoever with graininess.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)