• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combining Chocolates for Cake

sabg

i am not a baker or v familiar with chocolates...in the recipes i have been reading they say biitersweet OR semi...when i read the reviews it seems a lot say bittersweet tastes like dirt and semi is too sweet...can you mix and a hald n half with a good result

You can combine chocolates to taste but do a little taste-testing of your own before writing darker chocolates off as "dirt". There is a wide range of quality out there as well as a wide range of opinions. Dirt, to a farmer, is a good thing. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You can combine chocolates to taste but do a little taste-testing of your own before writing darker chocolates off as "dirt". There is a wide range of quality out there as well as a wide range of opinions. Dirt, to a farmer, is a good thing. :biggrin:

i love dark chocolate and like the taste but the cake reviews have not been great...the choc i i have priced is high and i don't want to make a mistake

i love dark chocolate and like the taste but the cake reviews have not been great...the choc i i have priced is high and i don't want to make a mistake

Consider the possiblity that it's the cake, not the chocolate. If you're using quality chocolate that you like and don't like the end result then the problem quite possibly lies elsewhere.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.