• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wonderful News About Peppermint

K8memphis

Full article here.

Basically it states that candy canes might be good for you.

Don't tell my rat friends at Princeton.

Peppermint oil, found in most candy canes, also appears to have health benefits. A recent British Medical Journal study, led by McMaster University researcher Alex Ford, concludes that peppermint oil should be the first line of defense against irritable bowel syndrome.

Peppermint oil, and other potent essential oils, may even one day be wafted in their vapor form over food to prevent the growth of bacteria.

Intriguing huh?

I just don't know if I could handle pepperminty tomatoes or avocado or something? Peppermint cauliflower or brocolli? <gag>

[in a related story--We haven't tried this yet as evidenced by intermittent nibblings heard above our heads but the next time we repair the holes in our house we will apply peppermint oil to hopefully keep the freaking squirrels away.]

Anybody try peppermint oil for soothing their tummies?

Wonder how you would ingest it? That's not got any sugar in it?

I mean the easy ways are in chocolate or candy.

How else can you ingest peppermint oil? I mean on what kind of food? That wouldn't suck.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Anybody try peppermint oil for soothing their tummies?

How else can you ingest peppermint oil? I mean on what kind of food? That wouldn't suck.

Well, last night a small cup of Dreyer's peppermint ice cream (limited edition) really helped my tummy - but it was a chaser to the Compazine.

^ Lots of Middle Eastern food includes mint, although right now all I can think of is tabbouleh. There are some really good mint threads that talk about what to do with a garden surplus of the stuff, and there's one on cocktails somewhere around here.

Here's a pretty extensive thread- Mint: Uses and Storage

I often drink a strong peppermint tisane to ease my upset stomach. It works better than Tums any day of the week.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks