• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steaming Lobster..can it be used for stock?

thecuriousone

Hi All-

I have a recipe which calls for cooked lobster and lobster stock. My plan was to steam the lobster in 2 inches of water, remove the meat, return the shells and body to the water, and a celery stick, lemon slice, sufficient water to make the amoutn of stock required and continue on. when its done, I will strain and use as directed.

Is there a problem with this plan?

I just did very similar with a pair of 2 lb. lobsters I acquired in Chinatown. Poached, removed as much meat as possible, chopped up the shells, sauteed them in a good knob of butter, added a chopped onion, leek, celery, fennel, tomato paste, parsley stems, etc. and water to cover - simmered for about an hour and a half, and had a great stock for my lobster risotto that night.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hi All-

I have a recipe which calls for cooked lobster  and lobster stock.  My plan was to steam the lobster in 2 inches of water, remove the meat, return the shells and body to the water, and a celery stick, lemon slice, sufficient water to make the amoutn of stock required and continue on.  when its done, I will strain and use as directed. 

Is there a problem with this plan?

That's an excellent plan, as the others have said.

When I cook lobster - which is more than ever these days - I steam them for that very reason. The steaming broth is almost the best part.

15 minutes for a 1-1/2lb chick.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack