• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Port or sherry for cocktails? Or both?

Penwu

Thanks Dan, I think I have searched sherry before, but it has been a while, and the number of worthwhile libations as significantly proliferated.

Well, the holiday may have delayed me, but here are my notes from a second round of sweet sherry cocktails.

Transatlantic ( via Cocktail Virgin Slut)

1 Oz Rye (Rittenhouse)

1 Oz White Rum (Angostura Reserva)

0.75 Oz Pedro Ximenez Sherry (Sandeman Armada Rich Cream Oloroso)

1 bsp Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao (Cointreau)

Stir, strain, orange twist.

I was surprised by this one. Having tried a basic Manhattan thing the previous time a happened on a bottle of sweet sherry, I was not optimistic. However, the lightening effect of the rum, plus the very different kind of sweetness coming from the orange liqueur made for a rich, balanced drink.

Ponce de Leon (via CVS)

2 Oz Ragged Mountain Rum (Appleton V/X)

1 Oz East India Solera Sherry (Sandeman Armada)

0.5 Oz Licor 43

1 ds Orange Bitters (Reagan's)

Stir, strain, lowball, flamed orange twist(omitted)

Hmm, a little off to start. It definitely harmonizes better when it warms up. I think something of the spice in the Licor 43 does not mesh for me with the Sherry. But it was quite nice by the end. If you make it, let it sit for a bit and I think you will be happier.

Lankersham Fizz (via, Cocktail Virgin Slut - anyone notice a pattern? Most of my recipes seem to be from here or Kindred Cocktails.)

1.5 Oz Gin (Beefeater)

0.5 Oz PX Sherry (Sandeman Armada)

0.5 Oz Simple Syrup

0.75 Oz Lemon Juice

1 Egg White

2 Oz Soda

Dry shake all but soda, and shake with ice. Strain into a collins glass containing 2 oz Soda water(or top with if you forgot that step). Garnish with a lemon peel, and add a straw.

Nice and refreshing, but nothing spectacular. If you want a Royal Gin Fizz with sherry flavors, this is your drink.

Well, there is still plenty left in the bottle. More to come!

Okay, finally got my finger out anf have decied to post the last set(for the moment) or drinks using my Sandeman Armada. It was been a good experiment so far. Right now my bottle is vacu-vined and sitting in the Vermouth/Beer Fridge, waiting for my experimental spirit to rise again(read, until it is the weekend and I am not lazy)

The Old Bill (via CVS)

1.5 Oz Cream Sherry (Sandeman Armada)

0.75 Oz Luxardo Maraschino

0.75 Oz Appleton Rum (V/X)

2 ds Fee's Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

2 ds Angostura Bitters

Stir, strain, up, orange twist.

My instincts said 0.75 Oz of Maraschino was too much in this drink. They were correct. I love Maraschino, but when used is large amounts it has to be counter balances, as in the Last Word. This did not work. This was basically a glass of cold Maraschino. I could see it working if the Maraschino were reduced to 0.25 Oz.

Poker Face(via CVS)

1.5 Oz East India Solera Sherry(Sandeman Armada)

0.75 Oz Brandy (Ansac VS)

0.5 Oz Lemon Juice

0.25 Oz Green Chartreuse

1 ds Angostura

STIR, strain, up.

A curious little drink, even in the small amount the lemon element it quite dominant, and although the sherry itself is sweet, plus the 0.25 oz of Chartreuse, the cocktail gives a bracing impression of sourness. Maybe on my palate the fact the sweet elements are so flavorful reduces their potency as balancing elements. Still, very enjoyable.

Hampshire( via CVS)

0.5 Oz PX Sherry (Sandeman Armada)

0.75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao(Cointreau)

0.5 Oz Aperol

0.5 Oz Lemon Juice

Soda

Build in a glass and add crushed ice. Orange Twist.

Not having the Dry Curacao is clearly an issue hear. This drink is too sweet as written. I suppose it fits into the mold of an low alcohol drink, but without any base spirit this one just seemed to wander between strong, sweet flavor, never landing on something definite.

Okay, so I may have put some of these off because the recipes were not as appealing, and I was sort of right. None of them were particularly bad, just not as dynamic as many of the previous ones.

• Like 1

Well since sherry seems to be where it's at, I thought I'd better get with it, so I tried this from Jeffrey Morgenthaler:

2 ounces Scotch whisky

1 ounce Pedro Ximénez Sherry

2-3 dashes orange bitters

Stir ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

004 (480x640).jpg

This is a surprising drink; I expected the sweetness to predominate but actually it's quite strongly salty; the Scotch tones down the sherry a lot and the typical Scotch flavours get a nice gentle nuance from the extra fruit.

• Like 2

Well since sherry seems to be where it's at, I thought I'd better get with it, so I tried this from Jeffrey Morgenthaler:

2 ounces Scotch whisky

1 ounce Pedro Ximénez Sherry

2-3 dashes orange bitters

Stir ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

attachicon.gif004 (480x640).jpg

This is a surprising drink; I expected the sweetness to predominate but actually it's quite strongly salty; the Scotch tones down the sherry a lot and the typical Scotch flavours get a nice gentle nuance from the extra fruit.

Seems like the choice of scotch would really drive this one. Are you using a blend?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Morgenthaler recommends Glenfarclas 105, so I used Macallan 10yo. It is apparently more bombastic than the Glenfarclas on the wood front, but is the only sherry cask Speyside whisky I had available (without making any effort to get more Scotch, that is).

Edit: I don't know a lot about Scotch. What are your thoughts on mixing it with sherry or in general (maybe material for another thread)?

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Seems like a place for a soft blend like Famous Grouse could work and let the PX Sherry carry the sweetness. The Glenfarclas 105 would certainly help punch up the proof but carries its own sherry based sweetness like most Glenfarclas does.

I haven't bought "The Macallan" lately since the price for it began to completely stupid but the 10yo sherry cask would also be pretty sweet. Glenmorangie or Glendronach might work as well.

Seems like scotch, or so most drink creators tell me (Making up a drink from scratch has never been my forte), can be tough to mix with unless you are pretty clear what style of scotch you want to use to achieve the flavor profile you want.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

That's pretty close to one I rather like, the Rapscallion (from PDT, I think, but don't quote me).

2.5 oz Scotch (the recipe specifies Talisker, so not the hugest peatyest Scotch you can find) and .75 oz PX in an absinthe-rinsed glass.

I might try yours tonight, PV. Does it have a name?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Foreigners!

Right, I have now made a Scotch Breakfast. Rather nice, but I think a more assertive Scotch might have improved it (I used a sort-of homemade version, and the PX dominated).

Here's a thought, though: how would it be with an egg included? Certainly appropriate to the breakfast theme ... Scotch Breakfast Flip?

Edited after making one.

Edited by lesliec (log)

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Thanks, Czequershuus, great topic! Lately I've been drinking lots of sherry, but the recipe has mainly been 'pour into a glass and drink; if bottle is empty open a new one.' However I did enjoy a Bamboo the other night, and tonight, having sour oranges on hand, I came up with this:

1 oz sour orange juice

1/2 oz cane syrup (JM)

1 1/2 oz cognac (PF 1840)

1 oz sherry (Ivison Amontillado)

I know sour oranges are not that easy to come by, but if you do, I recomend you give this a try. Next time I would dial back the cane syrup slightly and use a more intense sherry, such as the Maestro Sierra Oloroso, which is just phenomenal stuff.

Another fortified wine that is great for cocktails is Pineau des Charentes. Enjoy!

Edited by David Santucci (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finishing off my bottle of Armada with a few flips

Cream Sherry Flip (from Darcy O'Neil at The Art of the Drink log)

2.5 Oz Cream Sherry (Sandeman Armada Rich Cream Oloroso)

2 tsp Cream

1 tsp Simple Syrup

1 egg

Nutmeg Garnish

Dry Shake, then shake with ice and strain. (I did a 'damp shake' with a single cube, as it always works better for me)

Rich and lovely, exactely what you would expect. A very nice way to enjoy sherry. Possibly the best way to enjoy sherry for breakfast.

Bourbon Derby Flip (from the Eastern Standard, via Cocktail Virgin Slut)

0.75 Oz Four Roses Bourbon (OGD 114)

0.75 Oz House Rum Blend (Applecton V/X)

0.75 Oz East India Solera Sherry (Sandeman Armada Rich Cream Oloroso)

0.5 Oz Cinnamon Syrup

0.5 Oz Cream

1 Egg

Dry Shake then shake with ice ands train into a cocktail glass. ( I added a nutmeg garnish, because why not?)

I love how the cinnamon spice cuts through the richness. The mix of base spirits is spot on here, the rum and bourbon perfectly balance eachother here. A really nice flip. This saturday is turning out great.

So after those last two cocktails there was still a tiny bit left in the bottle, so I officially finished it off with this

Sultan (by Rafa)

2 Oz Brandy (Ansac VSOP)

0.75 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz PX Sherry (Sandeman Armada Rich Cream Oloroso)

0.25 Oz Cassis (Mathilde)

2 ds Aromatic and/or Fig Bitters (no fig, so I did a dash of Angostura and dash of Bittercue Bolivar Bitters)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass or into a rocks glass over ice (I went up)

While I love the concept of sherry and cassis together, this did not work for me. Quite possibly it did not because I did not use the PX called for, or because my bottle was passed its prime. I may have to revisit this i I ever happen upon some actual PX.

Sorry it didn't work out—I've found that cassis + lemon can be tart in an unpleasantly sharp way if I'm not careful, and I have trouble controlling for it, so on a subsequent revision I decided to replace the lemon with lime in that drink, cut back the cassis significantly, and add some ginger syrup to make up the difference and help tie together the flavors a bit better.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Just want to say that, to me anyway, the title of the thread sort of implies what one can keep on hand for mixing cocktails. I suppose you can mix cocktails with port but, I've always been told, once you open a bottle of a nice vintage port, you should drink it fairly quickly - definitely within a few days or so. That doesn't seem to me to be a quality that easily lends itself to sitting around a bar waiting for weeks, or even months, before being stirred into a mixed drink of some sort.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sorry it didn't work out—I've found that cassis + lemon can be tart in an unpleasantly sharp way if I'm not careful, and I have trouble controlling for it, so on a subsequent revision I decided to replace the lemon with lime in that drink, cut back the cassis significantly, and add some ginger syrup to make up the difference and help tie together the flavors a bit better.

That sounds like a great idea to me - I think I have found something similar with cassis and lemon vs lime. Those sound like great modifications. Oh darn, another excuse to but more sherry...

• 1 month later...

I know I post a lot here, but I have been on a Sherry kick the last few months. Earlier this week I opened a bottle of Hartley & Gibson Oloroso Sherry. Knowing it would spoil shortly, even if vacu-vinned, I quickly set to work. I posted about the 1818 cocktail in the Rum Substitutions thread, so I will confine myself to other experiments here.

The sherry by itself is very nice, I would definitely drink it just chilled. It is what you would expect from a sherry, very nutty, raisin-y. Nice level of oxidation and richness.

I tried it first in a sherry cobbler I go with the recipe, which I have adapted over the years to my own taste

Sherry Cobbler

4 Oz Sherry

0.5 Oz Rich Simple Syrup

2 Orange Wedges(I used blood orange, yay winter citrus!)

2 ds Bitters(I statr with Angostura and change as it appropriate t the sherry)

Shake with ice and strain into a goblet filled with pearl, o lets face it, crushed ice.

The Oloroso worked great here. This is one of my favorite lighter drinks. I made a large format for a party several years ago and it was a huge hit. It is even better with a more complex sherry like this.

Then it was time for something lovely and stirred. 

The Old Man, The Monk, and the Sea(Link)

1.5 Oz Old Fitzgerald Bourbon(OGD 114)

0.75 Oz Benedictine

0.75 Oz Oloroso Sherry

2 ds Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Twist and orange peel over and discard.

Love this one. I am a sucker for Benedictine, and it just works so well here. A great winter mood mellower.

Next up I wanted to see how the sherry played with sharper citrus.

Pancho Villa(Link)

2 Oz Blanco Tequila(Lunazul)

0.5 OZ Oloroso Sherry

0.5 Oz Maraschino(Luxardo)

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

A little harsh, maybe, and a little Maraschino forward. The relatively subtle sherry struggles to tame the equal amount of Maraschino in terms of flavor. Not a bad drink, by any means, but probably not the best use of sherry.

More to come.

• Like 1

I know I post a lot here, but I have been on a Sherry kick the last few months.

Nothing wrong with that! I love sherry in cocktails, but I don't drink it very often because it takes me forever to get through a bottle, so I'm always looking for new recipes.

The sherry by itself is very nice, I would definitely drink it just chilled.

Well I would hope so: don't cook and don't mix cocktails with wine you wouldn't drink a glass of on its own, right? :wink:

Next up I wanted to see how the sherry played with sharper citrus.

Have you ever tried Joaquin Simo's Flor de Jerez? Decidedly one of my favourite sherry cocktails.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Have you ever tried Joaquin Simo's Flor de Jerez? Decidedly one of my favourite sherry cocktails.

I have not, but it is certainly going on a list. I have yet to try an Amontillado, so that one is definitely topping the list when I decide to spring for a bottle. 

To continue with my sherry adventures, both from last weekend and the start of this one - 

Old Bill (Link)

1 Oz Oloroso Sherry

0.5 oz Aged Rum (Appleton V/X)

0.5 Oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

3 ds Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

This one did not work for me. The Appleton was a bad choice here, it and the fairly delicate sherry were pummeled by the Maraschino. I think if I upped the rum and went down to 0.25 oz of Maraschino it may work better. 

Bread and Wine (Link)

1.5 Oz Scotch (Ballantines)

1 Oz Dry Oloroso Sherry

0.5 Oz Lemon Juice

0.25 Oz Maple Syrup

1 rinse Absinthe

Shake and strain into an absinthe rinsed rocks glass. Add one large ice cube. 

I love the name, and the wya it plays with the ingredients. it is also a great description, as this is a cocktail that makes you think of a hearty meal. Not a blockbuster "WOW" cocktail, but a very solid tipple. The richness of the sherry really goes well with the slightly smoky scotch. I think it would likely be even better with a slightly more assertive scotch, but Ballantines was my best option at this time.

Sherry Duval (Link) (Cocktail Virgin Slut has been a great source for Oloroso specific sherry cocktails)

1 Oz Oloroso Sherry

1 OZ Bols Genever

0.75 Oz Cynar

0.25 Oz Maple Syrup

1 ds Walnut Bitters(half a dash angostura, half a dash peach)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Wow, that may be one of the top couple of sherry cocktails I have tried so far. Everything came together, and surprisingly the sherry was not lost amid the Genever and Cynar. A lovely little sipper.

I am catching up with my notes on Sherry cocktails over the past 2 1/2 weekds, so there are still a few things to post about in future.

My Sherry adventure continued!

On of the sherry cocktails I had really been looking forward to did not call for Oloroso specifically, but simply dry sherry. It was the 

Chaplin (Link)

0.75 Oz Bourbon (WT 101)

0.75 Oz Sherry (Oloroso)

0.75 Oz Ramazzotti

0.125 Oz Cointreau

2 ds Orange Bitters (Reagan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist..

I really liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I have always found mixing with dark Amari a bit hit and miss, and for me this misses excellence by just a touch. I love the flavor combinations, but next time I make this I may play around with the bitters. 

The next drink I made came from the very enjoyable Concoctails blog.

Blind Hermit (Link)

2 Oz Old Monk Rum (1 Oz Appleton V/X, 1 Oz Goslings)

1 Oz Frangelico (Cut to 0.5 Oz. I am not that brave)

0.5 Oz Dry Oloroso Sherry

1 tsp Green Chartreuse

1 tsp Cinnamon Syrup

2 ds Coffee Bitters (Xocatl Mole)

This worked out really well. A nut liqueur with sherry is an obvious pairing, but a great one. Everything really came together here, and the choice to sub chocolate bitters for coffeee worked very well. Rich, nutty, almost dried fruity. A but like drinking a proper Christmas pudding.

As I was drinking this I had the inspiration to make a cocktail with similar ingredients, but very different proportions. I wanted to do something with sherry as the base. Here is what I have came up with. I have dubbed it the Spanish Grand Prix, in honor of the upcoming start of the motorcycle racing season (The Spanish Grand Prix is the motorcyle racings takes place at a circuit locate din Jerez)

The Spanish Grand Prix

1.5 Oz Dry Oloroso Sherry

0.5 Oz Dark Rum (Goslings)

0.5 Oz Frangelico

0.5 Oz Cynar

1 ds Xocoatl Mole Bitters

Stir with ice, strain in to a cocktail glass. 

It worked! It may need some tweeking, but I really like the based. I added the Cynar because I wanted some bitter flavors to add depth, and I loved the way my sherry played with it in the Sherry Duval. And the dark rum has the perfect flavors for balance here. To my mind one of my more successful creations. 

Still a bit more to come...

Edited by Czequershuus (log)

Are you bored yet? Anyway more Sherry adventures

Kojo Cocktail(Link)

1 Oz Green Hat Gin (Dry Fly Gin)

1 Oz Oloroso Sherry

0.5 Oz Falernum (Velvet)

0.5 Oz Lemon Juice

0.25 Oz Simple Syrup

1 ds Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters (Angostura Bitters)

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist

A very interesting gin based sherry cocktail that is not of the aromatic variety. It is the sort of cocktail to reach for when you want something a bit different. Richness from the sherry combines with the light, tropicality (not a word, but I want it to be) of the falernum in a fascinating way. 

Latin Trifecta (Link)

1 Oz Blanco Tequila (Lunazul)

1 Oz Cynar

0.5 Oz Oloroso Sherry

3 ds Orange bitters (Reagan's)

Stir, strain, up, flamed orange twist.

Hmm, I really wanted to like this one. I should like it. Cynar+Tequila=Awesome, Cynar+Sherry=Awesome, Tequila+Sherry=Awesome, Tequila+Cynar+Sherry=Not so Awesome. Something about these ingredients fought each other more than balances each other. 

Are you bored yet? Anyway more Sherry adventures

Not so much "bored" as "I really don't have room to buy a bottle of Oloroso."

Latin Trifecta (Link)

1 Oz Blanco Tequila (Lunazul)

1 Oz Cynar

0.5 Oz Oloroso Sherry

3 ds Orange bitters (Reagan's)

Stir, strain, up, flamed orange twist.

Hmm, I really wanted to like this one. I should like it. Cynar+Tequila=Awesome, Cynar+Sherry=Awesome, Tequila+Sherry=Awesome, Tequila+Cynar+Sherry=Not so Awesome. Something about these ingredients fought each other more than balances each other.

I prefer the Art of the Bar version of this drink, which they call the Choke Artist, and which calls for anejo tequila and fino sherry, and uses the orange bitters as a rinse for the glass. I think the key to making this combo work is to have a super dry sherry; if you let the sweetness get out of hand between the Cynar and the sherry, it goes off the rails. Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Not so much "bored" as "I really don't have room to buy a bottle of Oloroso."

I prefer the Art of the Bar version of this drink, which they call the Choke Artist, and which calls for anejo tequila and fino sherry, and uses the orange bitters as a rinse for the glass. I think the key to making this combo work is to have a super dry sherry; if you let the sweetness get out of hand between the Cynar and the sherry, it goes off the rails.

Mmm, the dryness of the sherry may have been part of the issue. The Oloroso I have is not particularly sweet, but neither is it as dry as a fino or manzanilla. 

After all these cocktails and a little bit of cooking, it was time to polish off the bottle before it spoiled, and I had just the right amount for two more cocktails. Made these last week, but have not had the time to write them up until now.

First up was something nice and rich, and with a great name:

Love in an Elevator (Link)

2 Oz Ron Zacapa Rum(Goslings)

0.5 Oz Dry Oloroso Sherry

0.5 Oz Benedictine

0.5 Oz Punt e Mes

1 ds Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with a flamed orange twist(flame omitted)

Dark rum and Oloroso seem to be a natural pairing, it brings out the raisiny quality in the sherry. The Punt e Mes and Benedictine add to the richness. 

I finished my Oloroso expectations off with:

Animotion (Link)

2 Oz Bulleit Rye (Rittenhouse)

0.75 Oz Ramazzotti

0.5 Oz Dry Sherry

Stir with ice and strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

A very nice Negroni/Boulevardier variation. I don't think I will ever become tired of Negroni variations, as nearly all of them are at least palatable. This one works very well, probably one of my favorite uses of Ramazzotti.

Well, it very fun exploring that bottle of sherry. I have now tried cocktails with Fino, Manzanilla, Cream sherry, and Oloroso. Amontillado next I suppose. Probably have to wait a while for that, thought, until I know I have the time to get through a bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I made a Spanish Negroni, with Lustau for the amontillado, Brokers (80 proof) for the gin and Punt e Mes for the sweet vermouth. It was OK, but a little out of balance for me. I would definitely go with a higher-proof gin next time, and either split the Campari 50/50 - or replace it entirely - with Cynar, to capitalize on the latter's natural affinity for sherry.

Edit: Next up for the amontillado will probably be a Tabard, which I've had several times before and love. I bring it up because it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread yet.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 4 months later...

My first foray into sherry cocktails was not a good experience. First of all I had no idea it was so hard to find dry sherry. After hitting a few stores, I finally bought this Dry Sack sherry which I thought was a dry amontillado. Perhaps it is sweetened because it certainly tastes very sweet. I tried a Bamboo with it (specs from The Art of Shim) which was busy and sweet, not good at all. I was going to serve it to a bartender friend at a dinner party, but quickly decided to go with plan B.

This sherry will get recycled into a cooking liquid for clams most likely, while I look for something else.

14849497616_900e251884_z.jpg