• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes: Lost & Found

RDW

The recipe appeared in a magazine in the early 70's - Australian Cherry Coconut Pie.

A double crust of sweet pastry with 2 layers inside:

- Bottom layer of cherry - canned cherries, juice boiled and thickened with cornstarch

- Top layer of coconut - eggs (or eggwhite), sugar, unsweetened coconut flakes, possibly almond extract

All encased in a bottom and top pastry crust.

Would be ever thankful if someone has a recipe.

Thanks!!

I'm thinking the filling might be like a coconut macaroon so you might start from there. maybe reduce the sugar by like 20%

And then you've got your favorite pie crust.

ANd then boil the cherries and add sugar if needed. Make a slurry with cornstarch and water and add as much as you need until it is clear and thick enough to your liking. add a splash of lemon juice or brandy.

assemble unbaked crust, cherry fill, and coconut macaroon "batter" with top crust. Cut a few slits and then bake until golden.

just be careful to taste your cherries with your coconut so it's not too sweet...

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

• 2 years later...

Over in the old-fashioned cake topic, BarbaraY mentions a gumdrop cake recipe that her grandmother made, but has since lost.

We all must have recipes that we're searching for like that - and Google only takes us so far if we don't remember the exact name.

What are you looking for?

I'm looking for a ginger marmalade recipe that may have come from a cookbook or from a magazine. It was based on apples with fresh ginger. I've almost replicated it - but not quite!

Back in the 70's Southern California Edison put on cooking classes and one of the pamphlets had the definitive warm spinach salad dressing for our family. I have searched high and low and can not find that one pamphlet. It was orange in color, tangy and wonderful. Yes bacon was involved :biggrin:

Yes the bacon fat was rendered and both the crispy part and the fat were used but it was different from the ones I see around. Maybe the orange color was from paprika? I had given up without trying to recreate- I was just looking for the booklet. Hhhmmm time to play

So my ex-fiancee and I used to make this recipe that his mother (from Eastern Washington State) gave him. It had lentils and brown rice cooked together and lots of coarsely shredded carrots... And that's about all I remember other than remembering that it was really tasty. If it helps, the family was methodist (dad was a methodist minister)... We didn't part on good terms, so I can't write him to ask for it... Does it sound familiar to anyone?

A recipe called, I think, Chicken 'N' Apples. It had chicken pieces, sliced apples, whole small onions a chicken bouillon cube, nutmeg, ground ginger, and perhaps cinnamon. It was from a magazine possibly Good Housekeeping. Oh how I miss that recipe and I can't seem to replicate the spice mixture that gave it such a unique flavour.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My lost recipe is for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, easy right?

Well these had ricotta cheese and use liquid veg oil and I can't remember which leavening agent or how much lemon juice and it makes me sad.

The recipe was from a teacher at Bergen Community College

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Giuandia Lace Cookies. These were published in the San Francisco Chronicle about 1980. The were absolutely the tenderest, tasty things I had ever eaten. I've tried to duplicate them since the recipe disappeared with no luck.

Teach me to leave a sheet of news paper out where others can use it to start a fire. :angry:

This is a great thread!

Barbara, the Chron has a library, and, last I knew, a librarian. You might try calling the Chron library and see if anyone can help you. Or you might try going to sfgate and see if there are accessible archives that way. The librarians at the Chron used to field all kinds of calls from the public, but my husband (who used to work at the Chron) says that may not be the case any more.

When I first joined eG, I asked about this recipe...but this is much later and here goes again.

A tomato and cheese souffle my Mother used to make called Beaver Pudding. It might have been a family name for it... :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

These, I fear, are truly lost--I never had them, just have been searching for the recipes for 20 years, and no one seems to have them. There was a bakery in upstate NY called Sweeney's, a man who baked in his garage. He made a sensational bread he called Lumberjack Bread that I have come close, but not close enough, to replicating, and thick, glazed, brownish yeast doughnuts that, well, they have quite simply died with him.

My mom has been looking for a pineapple cupcake recipe called "gems of paradise" that her mother used to make but lost the recipe for. She thinks it might have been off of a pineapple can, but so far no luck tracking it down, and she's a reference librarian. I keep hoping I'll come across it one day and I'll be set for the next gift-giving holiday!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

When I first joined eG, I asked about this recipe...but this is much later and here goes again.

A tomato and cheese souffle my Mother used to make called Beaver Pudding. It might have been a family name for it... :hmmm:

Would this be the one?

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Tomato%20cheese%20souffle

Kay

Thanks Kay,

There are lots of Tomato/Cheese Souffles, and I have made a couple. It was just my 'Mother's' Beaver Pudding I was looking for. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it was simply my Father's nickname for it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Katie, I did consider calling the paper but last time I called a paper for something, they wanted $200.00. The person who answered told me I could find it in the public library. Unfortunately I was in CA and the paper was the Kansas City Star. Will see if I can check the archives on-line as you suggested.

Baked Pineapple and Cheddar Cheese casserole. An absolute MUST to go with a ham, of a pork roast. I LUV pineapple! :wub:

Here's one I've been making for some 40 years. Got it out of a military officer's wives cookbook. It's been a family favorite for all these decades. Can't remember a family get-together that somebody doesn't bring it.

As you say, it's perfect to go with ham, or roast pork, or fried chicken, or barbecue, or ribs, or whatever. Easy to make, and the children love it.

Hot Pineapple and Cheese Salad

1 large can pineapple chunks (not drained)

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

1 lb good-quality Cheddar cheese, grated or shredded.

Combine the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Add the pineapple and cheese and mix until combined. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, or at 350 for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve while still hot.

ETA: If you google 'hot pineapple salad,' you'll find quite a few recipes, with varying measurements and ingredients. Many add Ritz Crackers.

If this simple one of ours doesn't work for you, you should be able to find another one that is just perfect. The key seems to be to google 'hot salad' rather than 'casserole,' if that's what you've tried.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Back in the 70's Southern California Edison put on cooking classes and one of the pamphlets had the definitive warm spinach salad dressing for our family. I have searched high and low and can not find that one pamphlet. It was orange in color, tangy and wonderful. Yes bacon was involved :biggrin:

I took at least one of those classes and I have a little booklet somewhere in my collection.

Electric cooking for the Modern woman or a similar title. I had always cooked on gas and this house, prior to remodel, had an electric range which I despised.

I am pretty sure I have a similar dressing recipe but mine actually was made with orange juice or canned mandarin oranges that were sauteed and mashed in the bacon drippings, a shot of red wine vinegar (before balsamic became the norm) and an optional addition was poppy seeds.

There was no sugar added but a bit of boiling water, which made it foam up in the skillet.

I'll have to go through my recipe boxes as I'm sure I've never put it into the computer.

I just did a Google search and found the booklet I remember.

Here

Wow, expensive for such a little booklet.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here's one I've been making for some 40 years. Got it out of a military officer's wives cookbook. It's been a family favorite for all these decades. Can't remember a family get-together that somebody doesn't bring it.

As you say, it's perfect to go with ham, or roast pork, or fried chicken, or barbecue, or ribs, or whatever. Easy to make, and the children love it.

Hot Pineapple and Cheese Salad

1 large can pineapple chunks (not drained)

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

1 lb good-quality Cheddar cheese, grated or shredded.

Combine the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Add the pineapple and cheese and mix until combined. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, or at 350 for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve while still hot.

I looked at this recipe over and over, thinking what on earth can this be? Sounds unlike anything I have ever made. Well, of course, I am going to make it.

Oh, one question please: is the pineapple in syrup or in plain juice. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.