• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The One Inviolable Pizza Topping Rule

gfweb

Sorry for the delay. I'm like a squirrel and forgot my own post!!

Can't recall its name, but it was the Italian restaurant on the top floor of Isetan in Shinjuku 3-chome.

Hope you get a chance to try it.

That's OK, I forgot about this, too!

I know that pizza place. I've been there once, and I thought their regular neapolitan-style pizza sucked. But maybe the rugby ball-shaped one is better!

The other day I had Super Korean Bulgogi pizza from Pizza Hut. I'm sure it violated many rules, but I liked it.

Of course, pizza hut pizza is in a league of its own. You can do all sorts of things with it, and it will still be pizza hut pizza.

To me, pizza is a thin layer of bread with toppings on it. Yes, there's the traditional Neapolitan pizza, but there are also other things that can still be called pizza.

I put an enormous variety of toppings on my pizza. Spinach, artichoke and caper (with tomato sauce and mozzerella) is a real favourite right now. I also like asparagus, aubergine, courette, feta, olives, cheddar, red onion, fresh tomato, mushrooms, goats cheese, peppers....there are so many wonderful possibilities!

I agree that it's probably quite true that you shouldn't overload too much on quantity of topping. On the other hand....I'm not a big fan of bread, and prefer the toppings to the pizza base. My whole family really enjoys making overloaded pizzas! Here's one we made this weekend (before cooking):

DSCN3207.JPG

There are a lot of toppings on that pizza,and it also has a wholemeal base. Say what you like, it was delicious, and I'd make and eat it again.

• 3 months later...

I think mozrella cheese is best to be used for pizza.It is better to use tomato puree ok tomato ketchup,which is readily available.

Ketchup would not work. A clear violation. A pizza sauce should be savory, not sweet.