• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Homemade Vermouth

Chris Amirault

On 28/03/2016 at 2:45 AM, helenjp said:

Stick it in a wardrobe and walk away for 2-3 years...

Definitely an option.  It worked for my attempt at Cynar.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 3 months later...

@helenjp, your advice was sound!  I let the concoction sit, not in a wardrobe and not for several years, but it's turned into something that smells like ginger beer (ginger is about the only thing that's not in it!) and tastes like ... I'm not sure, but vastly better than back in March.  I don't think it's like any vermouth I've ever had, but it might just about warrant putting with some gin to observe the result.  I shall report further.

Oh yes - not a bad colour:

2016-07-09 Vermouth.png

• Like 2

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

That would indeed be a thought, but Death & Co's Manhattan Transfer was more than acceptable this evening.

Toying with the idea of putting a slug of 2:1 Demerara syrup in the bulk supply, just to ease the dryness a tad.   Nothing may come of this thought, however.

My eG Foodblog

3 hours ago, lesliec said:

That would indeed be a thought, but Death & Co's Manhattan Transfer was more than acceptable this evening.

Toying with the idea of putting a slug of 2:1 Demerara syrup in the bulk supply, just to ease the dryness a tad.   Nothing may come of this thought, however.

I seem to recall adding some sweetness to mine to bring it closer to the Carpano Antica I was trying to imitate.

In the interests of completeness, and keeping Kerry happy, I can now report on the Negroni.  In a word, pretty good.

I had a suspicion 1:1:1 might be a little too much and went with 1.5 gin to .75 of the other two, but I now think my suspicions may have been unfounded.  Oh no - have to make another one!

• Like 2

My eG Foodblog