• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Mincemeat - is there such a thing?

I have a friend who wants to make a mincemeat like his mom grew up on in Ireland. She's aging and never learned how to make it. They believe that the mincemeat they used to have was different than any others they have tried. Is there a mincemeat that is specific to Ireland? And are there recipes that can be suggested? Thanks.

I'd have thought that recipes from Britain & Ireland would be pretty similar, although there's no one recipe that's even really a "regional standard" that I'm aware of. Might be worth asking the friend's mum what she reckoned was diffferent from others and take it from there.

I make my own mincemeat about once every five years and have to say that my life is too short to grate or chop real suet. I'd buy a good quality supermarket brand - but none of that veggie alternative muck.

John Hartley

I dont think there is a mincemeat specific to Ireland. The version that your friend is thinking of is probably the original style of mincemeat, as has already been pointed out - with actual meat (plus suet) in it.

There is an infinite number of variations of the theme of meat plus dried fruit plus whatever else was available. One old writer referred to its contents as "the goodly litter of the cupboard."

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday