• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chroma Knives

billieboy

I am thinking of getting a Chroma knife. The Chinese cleaver. I am intrigued by the handle, but do not have anywhere where I can look at it except on line. Does anybody have any one of the Chroma knives, and if so is the handle comfortable? Also is the steel half-way decent?

Thanks

Bill

I am thinking of getting a Chroma knife. The Chinese cleaver. I am intrigued by the handle, but do not have anywhere where I can look at it except on line. Does anybody have any one of the Chroma knives, and if so is the handle comfortable? Also is the steel half-way decent?

Thanks

Bill

A link to what you are thinking of buying would be helpful...

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Thanks

Bill

I hope this works http://www.paulsfinest.com/Chroma-Chinese-...-6.8-p-694.html

Thanks

Bill

I hope this works http://www.paulsfinest.com/Chroma-Chinese-...-6.8-p-694.html

Thanks. Those look pretty but I wonder about that handle design. If it were me I'd be reluctant to buy one without being able to play with the actual knife first.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Quoted from the website......

Note that this is NOT a meat cleaver -- it's a Chinese style chef's knife (just like a santoku is a Japanese style chef's knife).

There are so many things wrong what what written here. First, it's NOT a Chinese style chef knife. It's more like a Japanese Nakiri. Second, the websites attempt to correlate a Santoku with this knife is nothing but a blatent attempt to mislead the uninformed public that this is the Chinese version of the Santoku. It's not. AND, to call this thing a cleaver is also a gross mistatement.

Note that Chroma measures blade length from the tip to the metal "pearl" on the handle, so actual blade length is somewhat shorter: on this knife I measured the actual blade length at 13.5cm (5.3")."

Do you really want a quasi Chinese cleaver/nakiri/santoku that's only 5.3 inches long?

If you want a cleaver, find a good cleaver like the Suien below.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band