• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suppose i have to make coffee for 20 or 30 people

paulraphael

I like press pot coffee. Can I just brew the coffee in a stock pot and strain through a chinois into thermoses?

Maybe without force it would take too long to filter through the grounds, but maybe with a big enough strainer this wouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

I think that would work, shit even if it went awry it would still be better than the usual oneg shabbat percolater fare.

I've enjoyed many a cup of cowboy coffee which in my book is the same as french press sans press. Great to the next to last drop (the last sip can be kinda crunchy).

YMMV :raz:

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I like press pot coffee. Can I just brew the coffee in a stock pot and strain through a chinois into thermoses?

Maybe without force it would take too long to filter through the grounds, but maybe with a big enough strainer this wouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

One thing to consider when making press pot coffee in such great quantities is that the sediment will build up on you. Especially when poured into thermoses and left to settle, the bottom will be total sludge.

If you have an old drip brewer laying about, it might be possible to use the funnel as you would a Melitta-style one cup brewer, only directly into the thermos. Or you could just use this.