• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help in making restaurant choices for "authentic"

hemingway

I have only been to Paris twice and will be there again in a couple of weeks (Jan. 11-15). The purpose of my trip is to eat well for the four days I am there sprinkled in with museums and a few sites in Paris.

The last two trips I have tried L'Ambroise, L'Arpege, Tallivent, Robuchon. Ducasse, Jules Verene. This time I want to try more authentic places. I would like mainly small places with good food. Decor is not important. Most places in the 125-150 euro per couple or less are ok and maybe a three star splurge for lunch. My research has been here and Alexander Lobrano's book. Many of the 25-50 per person euro places look very appealing. Seafood is my favorite food.

Under consideration are Christophe,Competitor, Les Papilles, Chez Michel, LeVillaret

, LeBaratin, Itinaries, L'Entredeu, Chez Georges, Fables de la Fontaine, Servo, La Regalde and Aux Lyonais.

Many of the new places interest me as well. I want to lean towards "old authentic Paris" but like many people am anxious to try the hot new chefs. These include Spring (any suggestions on how to get a reservation?), Jadis, Cul de Poule, LeGaigne, Chateaubriand.

So I would like to narrow this to the eight places I will try to book. I have spent over 30 hours reading up and it gets to be a little confusing. So many places sound great. I just need a little help focusing and I value opinions from fellow eG members.

For a romantic lunch in a great setting I am thinking the Crillon unless anyone else wants to throw around a different idea.

I also am looking for a couple of wine bars for hanging out and drinking and not eating dinner.

If anyone wants to give an opinion on a hotel for $250 or less per night I would be interested. I think the second week of January would be a slow time and some higher priced places might have a lower rate at that time.

Thanks for any opinions I may receive. This forum has been very helpful and I thank the mods who keep posting the great information.

Edited by hemingway (log)

Our most recent trip to Paris (for Thanksgiving week) was populated by eating at no star (and maybe a 1 star) restaurants that cost mostly in the range of 100 - 150 euros for the two of us...a few, much less.

We had lunch at Spring, which was marvelous - if it's still open, try calling 2 weeks ahead for a lunch ressie - or even the morning of for any cancellations.

John's (Talbott) posts, as well as his blog, will serve you quite well - as will searching this forum for the multitude of Paris posts.

In addition to Spring, places we loved included the Breizh Cafe (outstanding, market driven crepes) in the 3rd, La Table d'Eugène in the 18th, Afaria (15th), Le Baratin (20th)and Le Café des Musees, also in the 3rd (conveniently open on Sunday) and where I had the best fried potatoes of this trip (they also offer a 20 or so euro menu). L'Office in the 9th surprised us with a small, wonderfully executed menu, and we felt Chez Michel (a Monday night choice) had slipped a bit since we ate there a number of years ago.

As far as romantic places go, everything in Paris is romantic, imo. Even grabbing a sandwich and eating it in the Jardin de Luxembourg or Tuilleries, no?

Many, many more intrigued but we did limit ourselves to 2 or 3 meals out a day. As for hotels, we rented an apartment, which has become our methodology on our last 4 or 5 trips to Europe. Lots more space for the money, and I like making my own coffee in the morning...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I think you must mean Le Comptoir, and not the Competitor, unfortunately it is pretty difficult to get a reservation, but if you can get one by all means go. You could always go for lunch, when the menu changes to bistro cuisine and there are no reservations taken, although you may have a wait. I think your other choices are goods ones. If I had to choose only four from the list I think I would go with La Regalade, L’Ami Jean, Le Baratin and Chateaubriand. Cul de Poule, is fine if you live in the neighbourhood and want something casual but I wouldn’t travel the Atlantic for it. In the past, I have loved Aux Lyonnais and the setting is beautiful but I was less thrilled the last time; it is a place I have taken visitors many times, but more for the setting. You might want one brasserie as well, perhaps for lunch.

Most of the wine bars I go to in Paris are places where you are expected to eat something and depending may even be expected to reserve. But you can always grab a glass of wine at the Rubis in the 1st, which is less about the wine and more about the atmosphere, which is very old school. There’s La Cremerie in the 6th for natural wines and a beautiful setting (you will be required to eat at least a small plate of charcuterie or cheese), I adore le Verre Volé in the 10th which would be nice after strolling along the Canal. Racines, is located in the picturesque Passage des Panormas, but for both I would reserve, as they are tiny. Le Grand Pere et fils wine shop, in the 2nd has a lovely wine bar and you can just drop in for a glass.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Under consideration are Christophe,Competitor, Les Papilles, Chez Michel, LeVillaret

, LeBaratin, Itinaries, L'Entredeu, Chez Georges, Fables de la Fontaine, Servo, La Regalde and Aux Lyonais.

My preferences of those listed would be Fables, Severo, Jadis, Les Papilles, Chez Michel, Le Baratin + Le Gaigne and while I've heard good things about Christophe, I was underwhelmed; would only go to Comptoir for dinner, and not to Le Villaret, Itineraires, L'Entredgeu, Chez Georges, La Regalade or Aux Lyonnais because of inconsistencies. Forget Spring except for lunch if there's a cancellation (he's booked til March).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I would say all 4 of the Constant restaurants, l'Obelisque at the Crillon for a nice spot, Les Saveurs de Flora was a recent good experience. You can try calling Daniel at Spring right away from the US. I always call about 5:30 AM EST and Daniel usually answers the phone. Who knows he just might have a concellation for you. A charming little bistro is Cafe Max on laMotte Picquet...a block from Le Florimond, wich is another good spot...153 Grenelle...

Enjoy....

Joan