• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KVASS

BeerGut

I've read about it and I've heard the rumors of KVASS ("Russian Cola") being brewed in Pittsburg and Brooklyn but I am unable to find any.

Does anyone have an opiion about this brew, or better yet, a place to procure such beverage?

I've never tried it myself, strangely enough given all the brewing I've done and all the time I've spent living in Russia and immediate environs... but I've never had the opportunity and the desire at the same time.

If you want to find it, look in Eastern European markets like the one in this thread. Scroll down for pictures of bottles of it on shelves.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I've read about it and I've heard the rumors of KVASS ("Russian Cola") being brewed in Pittsburg and Brooklyn but I am unable to find any.

Does anyone have an opiion about this brew, or better yet, a place to procure such beverage?

You can find kvass if you go to Brooklyn and look in the right (read: Russian) stores. I'm not a huge fan, so I can't give you specifics at the moment. I might be able to get suggestions from someone for you.

As for Pittsburgh, it was true. East End Brewing did a special brewing with Tom Baker from (what was) Heavyweight Brewing two times, in fall of 2006 and 2007. It's not available anymore, though, since it was draft only and they haven't brewed it since. You can read about it if you like, though: clicky.

Hope that helps.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 3 months later...

Hey, I heard recently that East End is going to re-release their kvass. You should try and contact them and see when.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 3 months later...
  • 14 years later...

The largest beverage company in China and therefore one of the largest in the world is the ridiculously named 娃哈哈 (wá hā hā, literally 'baby haha'), founded in 1987 by Zong Qinghou (宗庆后) with three employees and a $20,000 USD loan (140,000元).

They sell everything drinkable except hard liquor and now have around 30,000 employees. Their top seller is their purified water which I often buy.

Screenshot_20240312_105156_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_2008847548130.thumb.jpg.94c0366b8f1d1df2f136ba9f48df3407.jpg

I was surprised to see today that they have launched their own kvass, which they call 格瓦斯 (gé wǎ sī) in an attempt to replicate the Russian квас phonetically.

IMG_20240312_125235_edit_8729560041896.thumb.jpg.3481eddcc281a5944de8052601b81d54.jpg

Unfortunately, the literal meaning of 格瓦斯 is 'standard gas', wǎ sī being an earlier attempt to replicate 'gas'. A linguistic mess.

Apart from the wort*, which they don't give details of, it contains apple juice and 'grape syrup', sugar and a bunch of chemicals with long names, none of them necessary.

IMG_20240312_125507.thumb.jpg.62ddc85f1467cf4a0e0b020b2796e263.jpg

What does it taste like? How the heck would I know? I lived in Russia in the latter years of the Soviet Union, where I drank it once and found it disgusting. Never again.

* "A sweet liquid produced by steeping ground malt or other grain in hot water, which is then fermented to produce beer."

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto