• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine pairing advice

doctortim

In a week I'm planning on serving roast lamb shoulder stuffed with a apricots, couscous, pine nuts, and herbs. On the side will be boiled potatoes dressed with a parsley & mint vinaigrette.

Can anyone recommend a good style of wine to serve alongside? I don't usually have trouble with lamb, but I don't want the sweetness of the apricots to clash. If you're naming specifics, a bonus would be Australian wines since that's where I am.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

White, Red or Bubbles?

For red, try a Zinfandel or even a McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon (the berry flavour should complement the sweetness of the apricots).

For white, you'd probably be hard pressed to go past a Riesling (apricot is one of the taste descriptors for this wine). Given that it's lamb, go for a slightly sweet version rather than a very sweet one.

For bubbles, try a sparkling Shiraz or Pinot Noir (adult Ribena) :wink:

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog