• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Weihnachtsmarkt Food

NutellaBear

Are there any well traveled cooks out there that have sampled some of the seasonal foods the Germans serve at their Christmas Markets? For any that haven't been to Germany over the Holidays it is a winter festival that just about every German city hosts in their town center. They have all sorts of great food at the markets--a lot of typically seasonal stuff wurst, crepes, and chestnuts. And lots of booze because, after all, it is cold outside!

I am looking for a close recipe for one of the dishes they serve called "Champignons mit Knobi" which is champignon mushrooms topped with a creamy garlic sauce. From what I remember in watching them, they usually use big copper kettles where they do an initial boil of the mushrooms then follow it with a quick roast. Then top with this garlic sauce and sprinkle some paprika on top. The liquids they use for the boil (probably broth) and the seasonings all come from these pre-mixed batches of suff that I could never figure out. The sauce looks like a Béchamel sauce, heavy on the garlic, but there is a lot of other seasonings in there.

Anyone have a close recipe? Thanks in advance!

/Tim

Edited by NutellaBear (log)