• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with sherry

edwardsboi

With all the different types of sherry out there, which one are you supposed to use when a recipe refers to sherry? Fino? Olorosso? I've got my eye on a couple of a kabocha squash recipes from Sundays at Luques by Susan Goin.

And, since sherry is fortified, how long can you use it after you open the bottle? I don't really drink, and would mostly use the sherry for these recipes.

I know you're supposed to get a sherry from the Jerez region, but are there any specific brands from that region you'd recommend. I've got access to BevMo, Costco, Trader Joe's, etc...

With all the different types of sherry out there, which one are you supposed to use when a recipe refers to sherry? Fino? Olorosso? I've got my eye on a couple of a kabocha squash recipes from Sundays at Luques by Susan Goin.

And, since sherry is fortified, how long can you use it after you open the bottle? I don't really drink, and would mostly use the sherry for these recipes.

I know you're supposed to get a sherry from the Jerez region, but are there any specific brands from that region you'd recommend. I've got access to BevMo, Costco, Trader Joe's, etc...

You need to use a dry sherry for savory dishes. I use marsala instead of sherry with great sucess. Plus, it keeps forever in the cupboard.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I use a fairly inexpensive fino dry sherry from Emu, which is Australian. I just keep it in the cupboard and use as needed. I go through about a bottle every three months or so, and it's fine for that long. Probably longer.

I sometimes use an inexpensive sake in place of dry sherry for a bit of a changeup.