• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 racks of venison

Magictofu

I will be cooking two beautiful racks of venison in a few days.

My plan is too cook them fast in a hot oven, and maybe add a pine nut or pistachio crust. I will take them out of the oven when they reach 125. Any pointers? Advices?

I plan to make a sauce to go with them. However I am not too sure what kind of sauce it will be. I still have quite some dried mushrooms from last years mushroom picking season which are quite tempting (particularly the morels) but a port reduction sauce or a sauce using cranberries is also tempting. I don't have any recipes yet and wold love to read your suggestions.

P.S.: I promise to report back.

My plan is too cook them fast in a hot oven, and maybe add a pine nut or pistachio crust. I will take them out of the oven when they reach 125. Any pointers? Advices?

I plan to make a sauce to go with them. However I am not too sure what kind of sauce it will be. I still have quite some dried mushrooms from last years mushroom picking season which are quite tempting (particularly the morels) but a port reduction sauce or a sauce using cranberries is also tempting. I don't have any recipes yet and wold love to read your suggestions.

I recently cooked a whole loin of venison but I did mine the Cooks Illustrated slow cook method. First I cut the loin in half since it was around 2 feet long. Then I browned them first in a very hot frying pan and put the pan in a 225 degree oven until the internal temp was 120. Rested them for 10 minutes tented with foil and they were wonderfully tender, medium rare the whole way through the meat. I sliced it very thinly. If I knew how to post pictures I would but this is my first post. I will have to figure that out later.

Your cooking method sounds like the plan -- I would use the pistachio as they are a little more resistant to scorching than are pine nuts. For the sauce, I tend to prefer one with a little acidity and fruit flavors to balance the richness of the venison. I do one with venison "demiglace", port, shallots and dried cherries that goes really well with roasted red meated game.

Edited by sjemac (log)

• 1 month later...

gallery_52525_4680_30503.jpg

It took me a while to report back but here's the result: venison roast with a port wine sauce, green beans, braised red cabbage and mashed jerusalem artichokes. Sorry for the messy plate, this is not restaurant food and does not have to be perfect.

It was appreciated by all but in retrospect I realize that I should have done a better job at removing the silverskin to make sure that all bites would be as tender as possible. I'll know better next time.

I also think that my sauce could have been a bit less reduced, it was a bit too thick and strong in flavour.

gallery_52525_4680_30503.jpg

It took me a while to report back but here's the result: venison roast with a port wine sauce, green beans, braised red cabbage and mashed jerusalem artichokes. Sorry for the messy plate, this is not restaurant food and does not have to be perfect.

It was appreciated by all but in retrospect I realize that I should have done a better job at removing the silverskin to make sure that all bites would be as tender as possible. I'll know better next time.

I also think that my sauce could have been a bit less reduced, it was a bit too thick and strong in flavour.

I think your plate is beautiful! The venison looks delicious, perfectly medium-rare.

What I noted, and what I think plays into the beauty of your dish, is that you have a bit of sauce on the side of the plate and the plate is resting on that rustic looking wood table. And the heavy steak knife is just another element that plays into what I think makes great food photography-all of the parts must fit together naturally. And what better way to showcase game meat than in a composition like yours.

Food should always look inviting and delicious. It can work with the most "architecturally-perfect" plate served at a Michelin star restaurant, but it can also work with what we cook at home. Nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Great job on the temp! Actually all around looks very good.

It's true about the silverskin, gotta go. It's tough though,because you end up loosing a lot of meat if you want to take it all. And you end up with a very tapered chop.

For anyone else reading this thread (since you've already enjoyed your near perfect meal), I just took part in an all venison (daino actually) meal here where I work outside of Florence. One of the courses was a loin (wild not farm raised of course) cured and served carpacio style.

Silverskin was removed and loing was covered for 2 days with crushed juniper, bay and fresh sage. remove these and cover with course salt and put a weight (we used a 5 liter tin of oil) on top for about 18 hours. Rinse this well, dry and hang to airdry for another 18 hours. This will keep for at least a week I'd presume. Slice thin and serve on frissee and radichio with a vin santo vinegrette (sherry vin as alternative?) and pecorino tuscano.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Thought people might like to try. I'm sure something less valuable than a loin could be used.

btw: daino (dye-no) is the name for a deer like species here in Italy. This would be considered a marinato de daino. You could add 1/3 sugar to the salt if you wanted to cut some of the saltiness out. Daino is quite sweet so we left it out.

Edited by pfunk_49 (log)

Thanks David for the nice comments about the picture. It was actually taken by my mom's partner.

pfunk_49, no worries about hijacking the thread, it should be about venison loins anyway. Your idea seem quite interesting and might try it next time I can put my hands on venison.