• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ris de caneton

Baggy

I’m building a menu from my recently purchased copy of Pierre Gagnaire’s Cuisine Immédiate. I have taken an instant like for the ‘Endives aux poires, poêlée de ris de caneton en bigarade’. Mr Gagnaire describes ris de caneton as having “…unusual delicacy but must be eaten very fresh.”

Some questions:

Am I right to interpret ris de caneton as duckling sweetbreads? If so, can anyone give me a ‘Technicolor’ description of taste and texture.

Where on a duckling is it/are they located? Are they thymus or pancreas or what?

I would love to find a source – anything in London? I can’t imagine my local Waitrose will have any in stock, so what’s a good alternative? I’m sure I can get veal sweetbreads, and this is my current first choice alternative.

Any other recipes for ris de caneton?

I’m building a menu from my recently purchased copy of Pierre Gagnaire’s Cuisine Immédiate.  I have taken an instant like for the ‘Endives aux poires, poêlée de ris de caneton en bigarade’.  Mr Gagnaire describes ris de caneton as having “…unusual delicacy but must be eaten very fresh.”

Some questions:

Am I right to interpret ris de caneton as duckling sweetbreads?  If so, can anyone give me a ‘Technicolor’ description of taste and texture.

Where on a duckling is it/are they located? Are they thymus or pancreas or what?

I would love to find a source – anything in London?  I can’t imagine my local Waitrose will have any in stock, so what’s a good alternative?  I’m sure I can get veal sweetbreads, and this is my current first choice alternative.

Any other recipes for ris de caneton?

I was very curious when reading your post so I did some research

This website (french) shows you how to find them on a young duck: http://chefsimon.com/ricanar.htm

From the description, it seems that they are close to veal and lamb sweetbread.

Edited by Magictofu (log)