• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sushi-ya etiquette

chef koo

i think this question may have been asked but i couldn't find it after attempting to search. i know at sushi-ya's in japan, they don't have waiters. so if you're not at the sushi bar, how do you order? or is the entire seating only around the sushi bar. how do you order from private rooms?

bork bork bork

Your question will be easily answered if you go to one of those sushi-ya. If you sit at a table, the head chef's wife, an apprentice, or some other person will come to your table, probably with a big cup of green tea and an oshibori (wet towel), to take your order. Besides, most sushi-ya are so small that you can order while sitting at the table by talking to someone behind the counter. Private rooms? I don't think there are many sushi-ya with private rooms, but if you are in such a room, someone will come to take your order, probably with a big cup of green tea and an oshibori.

Made some additions.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Your question will be easily answered if you go to one of those sushi-ya.  If you sit at a table, the head chef's wife, an apprentice, or some other person will come to your table, probably with a big cup of green tea and an oshibori (wet towel), to take your order.  Besides, most sushi-ya are so small that you can order while sitting at the table by talking to someone behind the counter.  Private rooms?  I don't think there are many sushi-ya with private rooms, but if you are in such a room, someone will come to take your order, probably with a big cup of green tea and an oshibori.

Made some additions.

i don't live in japan so i won't know unless i actually go there. every japanese restaurant i've been to, where i live, have assimilated the etiquette into north american culture.

bork bork bork