• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite meal to eat when its snowing

gotsum411

I've been snowed in for the last 4 or 5 days and I've been dining on some serious cold weather food. I was wondering what other members favorite cold weather meals include. I made some curry chicken from Vij Vikram's cookbook, and its not spicy but it warmed me up for sure! I also had some amazing Pork dumpling soup that was just amazing, sitting by the fireplace eating.

I just dug out my recipes for chili and tamale pie--with a big pan of cornbread, both of them are hearty, stick-to-your-ribs-kinda meals for this weather. Now if it will just let up long enough for me to get to the store to buy what I need for them!

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

chocolate cake ..and since I have been snowed in on the South Puget Sound for (today will be 6 days) yes I am falling off the wagon and this will be a meal for me today! :sad:

I am not dealing with being snow bound very well ..no matter what direction my fantasy world takes ...or how beautiful this all is ..it ends in me being cold, miserable and missing yet another days pay!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The last two snow-ins, I made Chicken Stew with Herbed Cornbread Dumplings from The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen , in my cast iron Dutch oven. Wonderful!

I always love the idea of long, slow braises when it's snowing out. I entertain fantasies of mulling wine and enjoying a neverending supply of spiced cider while I feast on lamb shanks, gratin dauphinois, lentil and sausage stew etc. In truth the only times I do any of these things are when I'm on vacation somewhere snowy.

Somehow these ideals don't make it past my front door. When it's snowing in Santa Fe, my recurrent guests are popcorn with lots of butter and brewer's yeast, scratch hot chocolate with lots of spices, Manhattans, brie en croute, any dessert containing fresh citrus, ginger milk, and lots of black licorice, which I find incredibly warming (maybe it's the spike in blood pressure it purportedly causes?).

Another vote for chili. Big pots of chili. Made in my favorite stewpot, so there's lots of leftovers. So that I can follow up my mug of chili with more chili.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's gotta be chili! Lots of lean meat, beans, tomato sauce and enough spice to keep you warm all day. It holds its heat well in a cup so it's not cold when you eat it. Make plenty because the leftovers are even better! May even have to have a little corn bread on the side. :rolleyes:

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Hot and sour soup!  I'm in Olympia and it's pretty wild here- for those who did not grow up driving in this stuff!

I live just 20 min north of Oly and work there .....well I used to before this snow ...if I do not make it today it will be a full 7 days of being stranded on this hill!!! .good thing nurses are in great demand or I would be fearing for my job now! ....yup it is pretty wild!

Ok I got serious on the meal thing after I regained my sanity for a while yesterday ..so ...no chocolate cake although it would have been a meal and I spent a while reading through the thread about it and how to make the best ever..I finally pulled myself together ... I went for a big pot of red sauce ..with meatballs ...really good meat balls with the last of the parsley I dug from under he snow!

really home style ..Providence RI ...suck your thumb twirl your hair pot of spaghetti and meatballs!!! My husband was like a puppy in stink over that one ..he thanked me profusely when he realized I did not go the chocolate cake route!!!!

serious comfort food for cold days here ..nice big juicy meatballs ...lots of good sauce to pour over the pasta ..and now I have tons of sauce and only had one lb of pasta left ..oh well guess if I am stranded again today I can make my own spaghetti noodles I have semolina and flour and time :raz:

I have to get out of this house!!! I have never in my 25 years of living here had this much snow! it is crazy ..beautiful ..trying but crazy!!!

Off topic a bit ...I feel sad I have no gifts for my coworkers this year..I was not "safe" baking cookies stuck in this house or I would have eaten them all ... ..unless I can stop and get some wine on the way in I feel like such a heel

oh well maybe I can bring some sauce in jars today..some of the sausage and bacon I made ..and perhaps a ham hock ..festively wrapped cured meat and sauce maybe good ..I better get busy putting bows on the hamhocks!!!

sigh it is the season for giving not lamenting I guess

happy holidays you guys!!! stay warm!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet