• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice cream success!

flacoman

Finally succeeded in making ice cream in a stand mixer :biggrin:

If you start with the base cold ,it takes about 10 or so minutes and comes up very creamy. What I did was chill the base before adding it to the stand mixer and making sure the mixer's bowl was well and truly cold.

I used a standard base with egg yolk and cooled it off in an ice bath before blending.

The technique I used for freezing was as follows :

1.Crimp a plastic bag in the base of the blender.

2. Pour in about a pound and a half of crushed dry ice into the bag

3. Add about two table spoons of dry ice to the bowl and let the whole thing chill for about 10-15 minutes.

4. Once the mixer's bowl has frosted over, scoop out the remaining dry ice in the bowl.Don't sweat a little in there,but do try to start cleanly.

5. Pour in the base and start the mixer up. When running , take a large rod (I used tongs) to twist the handles tightly over the mixer and hold the dry ice firm against the bowl. A few scrape downs will be needed ,but nothing too crazy.

Pix forthcoming (I hope)

Go to it y'all!

HTH

Jorge

I like your idea of using a stand mixer to make ice cream. I won't have to buy an ice cream maker now.

If you want an easy method of getting all of the dry ice out of the bowl, try lining the inside of the bowl with a sheet of aluminum foil. Just press it firmly against the inside of the bowl and add the dry ice. All of the dry ice gets removed when you lift the foil out of the bowl.

Taste-wise it's great! Texturally it's verry smooth,with all the cream.Split a batch of base into two flavors ,chocolate and cherry /lingonberry; overrun (added air?) was pretty small , but you could force air in with a whisk if you wanted.

Quick tip : frozen fruit works great for cooling the base off ;-) (corrected spelling)

HTH

Jorge

Edited by flacoman (log)

OK ,here goes:

Slip the bag over the bowl , with the handle tabs at the sides.

Once done insert the bowl into the base as usual.

At this point , open up the bag and load it with dry ice.

Once loaded, take the handle loops and pass a rod through them (pair of tongs or slotted spoon shaft.

Twist the shaft until tight and let 'er rip

HTH

Jorge