• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Post-inauguration lunch?

Dianabanana

Due to a complete lack of planning and/or brains, we are going to be among the millions swarming DC for the presidential inauguration, but as yet have no lunch plans or reservations. The main issue here is logistics: I can read about restaurants all I want, but have no idea if we will actually be able to get there. Can anybody give me any useful advice on figuring out what is 1) good, 2) within a reasonable walking distance of the Capitol (we will be in the ticketed section), and 3) not likely to already be booked for private parties?

Thanks for your help. The first part of this trip is in NYC and I've been spending all my time planning where we'll eat there, oblivious to the fact that we'll be lucky to eat at all in DC!

I'm guessing that you're slightly insane for even looking for a restaurant lunch on Inauguration Day. If you can come up with a couple of bottles of sick Chateauneuf-du-Pape you can come to my house for cassoulet. Otherwise I'd see if there are any tables at Johnny's Half Shell or Bistro Bis. If you're going to be towards the House side, think Montmartre over by Eastern Market. The best idea might be top flee the Hill and hunt up La Chaumiere in Georgetown. Or just go to the Tune Inn for flat Budweiser cheap burgers.

Best of luck.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks! I've now got a CC-confirmed reservation at Bistro Bis. I'm amazed it was available.

Cool. You do realize that it will be 2-ish before you can get there from the swearing in (by my best guess).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.