• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shishito peppers

HungryChris

We have eaten at Ippudo twice and the first time the couple across from us had these before their ramen. They were so beautiful to look at that we couldn't resist trying them the next time we went. Not only are they beautiful, I thought they were hauntingly good, looked to be quick and simple to prepare. They put them on the grill and tossed a few teaspoons of oil on them to produce a quick flame and they were done. They were served with a little bowl of something that was the consistancy of garlic powder and lemon wedges to be sprinkled on them just before consumption, but I could not hear the servers description. The first question I have is what was the powder that they gave us to season them? The second question is are they available in markets anywhere in the city? Thirdly, I looked today on the Ippudo menu and don't see them. Are they seasonal? I'd like to grow these next summer, but don't want to wait that long to try them at home.

HC

If you can wait until next summer, Yuno's (USGM on Monday and Friday) grows them. The season runs through early October.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

If you can wait until next summer, Yuno's (USGM on Monday and Friday) grows them.  The season runs through early October.

Thanks for that bloviatrix. I'll be sure and look for them next season. I now realize that the proper spelling is "Shishito" and I hope that a moderator can correct the topic line.

HC

Edited to say Thanks!

Edited by HungryChris (log)

I've bought them at Katagiri and at Sunrise market. I assume most Japanese markets in the area will carry them. I cook them like Spanish pimentos de padron (learned this trick it from Seamus Mullen of Boqueria). Fry them quickly in very hot oil (canola or grapeseed). Drain the oil on towels and salt them heavily with a coarse salt.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread, I was walking through Eataly for the first time last week and they had shishito samples out for tasting. We immediately bought a pound and have been eating over the New Years weekend. I fried them very fast in light olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Addicting!

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)
  • Like 1

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

• 6 years later...
On 1/2/2011 at 6:35 PM, Recoil Rob said:

Resurrecting this thread, I was walking through Eataly for the first time last week and they had shishito samples out for tasting. We immediately bought a pound and have been eating over the New Years weekend. I fried them very fast in light olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Addicting!

Trader Joe's now has them, but quite often, they are picked too late when the seeds are like plywood. I have been growing them for quite a few years now. They are pretty easy to grow, and you are right, they are addicting.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

• 3 years later...

Sautéed Peaches and Shishito Peppers with Goat Cheese, Cashews and Saffron Honey from Josef Centeno's Bäco. Recipe online here

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.ae5cdebcef9e5a02b592e2dc9c0bf453.jpeg

Excellent combination of ingredients.  I very much enjoyed eating this.  

The herbs called for were parsley, chervil and tarragon. I used parsley, mint & thyme.  

Edited to add that the recipe calls for 5 ripe peaches, no weight given, and 1 cup (70g) shishitos for 4 servings which sounded peach-heavy for me so I used more peppers.  Went over to EYB to leave a comment on the recipe and saw the previous commenter found the peppers overpowered.   If you make it, just use what you'd like to eat 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

These are my new fave thing this summer of pandemic.  I'd love to grow some...but we have trouble growing anything pepper out here.  Anyway, I didn't know this topic existed!  Thank you @blue_dolphin your peppers look amazing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I've only had Shishito peppers once and that required a 125 mile one way trip to my nearest Trader Jo's.  They have grown into something epic in my memory!  

I had never seen them before until this summer in the big city grocery store (Dillons--which is part of Kroger and I know some others....).  I was shocked.   I really want to make one more trip and see if they still have some.  They really keep for a long time...like 2 weeks.  

• Like 1