• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese wind dried duck?

Adam Balic

Same as wind dried sausage, only it's duck. It has that sweet, slightly alcoholic tang to it that the Chinese sausages do, so I'm not sure where you'd substitute it for confit. I would cleaver it up and drop it in a congee, or just serve it over rice. It's going to be a little chewy. If you see the wind dried pig faces, consider buying them to use as Hallowe'en masks.

I am surprised the Chinese haven't refined their wind-dried items and taken them to a higher level. For example, by pureeing them into a very soft paste.

I think a mixture of the sausages and duck chopped over rice is a very good thing. The meats don't need any further cooking, you understand.

I am surprised the Chinese haven't refined their wind-dried items and taken them to a higher level.  For example, by pureeing them into a very soft paste.

I think a mixture of the sausages and duck chopped over rice is a very good thing.  The meats don't need any further cooking, you understand.

Wilfrid - The sausage I dig. I mostly steam it then gently fry it to crisp up the skin (I like the carmelisation flavour), slice on the bias and add to rice/curry/stir fry/noodles etc.

With the duck I will steam it in the bag, to warm it through.

Congee is the most refined of rice dishes.

There is a Cantonese dish that involves sausage & gai lan steamed on top of rice in a claypot. The juice/oil from the sausages drip down into the rice, giving it a nice flavor. The sausages and veggies are removed right before serving, plated separately. Soy sauce is then drizzled onto the rice. Some people don't even eat the sausages at all.