• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine bottles going down the tube?

Don Giovanni

Wine bottles going down the tube?

Wine traditionalists sneer when vintners replace cork with plastic. They howl in contempt at screwtops.

So what will they make of a California company taking an even bolder step: doing away with bottles altogether and replacing them with cardboard tubes?

Click On Me

Not in my lifetime...no way !!!!!

So, the only thing new about this is the shape of the box. Round instead of square.

Wine in boxes has been around for a while here in France. Its not just the cheap stuff either, nor, of course, is it the top of the range expensive, lay down, blah, blah wines either.

There is a lot of perfectly drinkable middle road wine available in boxes. An example is the chardonnay I buy from the Minervois region. I can pay about $5.60 a bottle for it or I can buy the exact same wine in a 5 liter box for $3.35 for a bottle's worth. Either way I get a nice well balance wine which is great for everyday drinking. In fact I'm sipping some as I type.

I ask, given the choice which would you buy?

As with all wine you have to taste, pick & choose. There's a lot of junk wine sold in boxes, but, then again, there's a lot of junk wine sold in bottles as well. It's usually more expensive junk in the bottles.