• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Obscene Sandwich

Peter the eater

The tater tots are my monster right now. I created them, now I am faced with curning out 40 to 60 five-and-a-half ounce servings a day. For the first time in our week since opening I am actually ahead on them. 113 portioned servings are sitting in the deep freeze and 50 more pounds of potatoes are peeled and diced. :biggrin:

FWIW, Cooks Illustrated just did an article on tater tots. Theirs involved freezing a sheetpan and then cutting cubed tots IIRC.

PS: I am a guy.

We make smoked garlic powder by smoking peeled cloves for about 12 hours then finishing them in a low oven overnight before grinding. The stuff is absolutely delicious, I have taken to calling it "Magic Jesus Powder." The tots also get minced fresh rosemary (today's batch was oregano because we didn't have nearly enough rosemary for the size batch I was doing).

Dear Lord. If I send you a check, will you send me some of that? Name your price! My mouth is watering just thinking about it and the uses to which I could put it!

It's enough to make me buy a smoker.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm more curious about the beverage; I've only heard of Faygo sodas; does this have an alcohol content, or just a flavor? Where could I get one to try? (I'm in south Florida.)

Faygo is a soft drink that originated in Detroit (we are in Michigan and try to use only MI products). It is made in virtually every flavor under the sun these days and is the most widely available budget soda here in the Great Lakes region.

What we carry is their small line (6 varieties) of glass bottles in "classic" flavors. This line is made without HFCS.

As to where you might locate them in Florida I have no idea but as I'm sure you know there is a sizable population of former Michiganders in the Sunshine State. I would bet that it is available somewhere for the northerner looking for the taste of home.

Actually, here is a form on Faygo's website to inquire about whow to locate their products outside the Midwest.

Cheers

Thanks for the 411, Smitty!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We make smoked garlic powder by smoking peeled cloves for about 12 hours then finishing them in a low oven overnight before grinding. The stuff is absolutely delicious, I have taken to calling it "Magic Jesus Powder." The tots also get minced fresh rosemary (today's batch was oregano because we didn't have nearly enough rosemary for the size batch I was doing).

Agree with kayb - that's a fantastic idea. Do you have a preferred wood?

And more directly on topic, I'll be stopping by to get that sandwich if I'm ever in your neck o'the woods.

Agree with kayb - that's a fantastic idea. Do you have a preferred wood?

And more directly on topic, I'll be stopping by to get that sandwich if I'm ever in your neck o'the woods.

We mostly use a mix of oak and maple because they are the most readily available up here. We occasionally get cherry. We would like to use more hickory & mesquite but it just isn't practical. Tough to find around here and too expensive for the amount of wood we use.

Dear Lord. If I send you a check, will you send me some of that? Name your price! My mouth is watering just thinking about it and the uses to which I could put it!

Still trying to get ahead on so many things right now. The batch of powder that I need to chop and mix for tomorrow night's tots is drying in the oven as I type. If we ever get in front of things enough to have extra "Magic" I would love to mail it our to you.

Still trying to get ahead on so many things right now. The batch of powder that I need to chop and mix for tomorrow night's tots is drying in the oven as I type. If we ever get in front of things enough to have extra "Magic" I would love to mail it our to you.

I'll hold you to that. And if I'm ever in the Lansing area, be assured I'll be stopping by for a sandwich and some tots!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Here are the cloves of garlic for the next week's batch of tots. We've got 150 pounds of 'tater peeled and par-fried. The plan is to make a batch big enough to last us the whole week on our off-day tomorrow.

smoke garlic for powder.jpg

Here are some onions that I am going to try the same process with. Thinking about doing a BBQ spice tot with the smoked onion powder and pepper jack dipping sauce.

smoked onion for powder.jpg

Those photos were taken about 4 hours into the smoke. They each got about 6 more hours before we pulled them and placed in the oven. Tomorrow by about noon we should have some delicious powders

• 2 months later...

Percyn, I cannot decide which is more obscene . . . the lusty ochre yolk puddle or the timid Chicago dog. Well done sir.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Glorious.

Smitty, what structure keeps that egg aloft?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 4 months later...