• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Obscene Sandwich

Peter the eater

Not really a sandwich but definitely obscene on a number of levels.

The grilled chicken wiener with ketchup, relish and yellow mustard on a croissant. . .

Wow what a great idea! My hubby would love that. Thanks now I have Wednesdays dinner planned. Italian sausage w/ peppers and onions on croissants.

Not really a sandwich but definitely obscene on a number of levels.

The grilled chicken wiener with ketchup, relish and yellow mustard on a croissant. . .

Wow what a great idea! My hubby would love that. Thanks now I have Wednesdays dinner planned. Italian sausage w/ peppers and onions on croissants.

It didn't live up to my misplaced anticipation. The buttery croissant and the oily hot dog are not exactly a match made in heaven.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hey Ellevan, here's the soup recipe. It is based off a recipe from the Beer Bistro Cook Book By Stephen Beaumont and Brian Morin.

Onion and Mushroom Ale Soup

1/3 C Duck Fat

6 Cups Yellow Onions

2 Pounds Mushrooms

2 1/2 C Ale (looking for something malty here)

2 1/4 C Beef Stock

4 1/2 C Chicken Stock

Fresh Thyme

Salt and Pepper

Baguette

Monterey Jack

Jalapenos sliced

- Melt the duck fat and cook the onions and mushrooms down for about 4 hours on low heat

- Add Beer and stocks and bring to a boil

- Stir in thyme, salt, and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes

- Top with toasted baguette slices, monterey jack, and diced jalapenos and broil

The original calls for portobello and shitakes, veal stock instead of beef stock, sweet onions, and blue cheese instead of monterey, it also does not have jalapenos. I've made it that way as well but prefer what is above!

Peter - It's too bad that the dog on the croissant wasn't good, it really did look like something worth trying! Thanks for starting the thread!

Clark

HowardLi, thanks for that obscene sandwich link. I could hear the plaque forming in that guy's aorta. His mom must be real proud.

Moe Sizlack

Peter - It's too bad that the dog on the croissant wasn't good, it really did look like something worth trying! Thanks for starting the thread!

I'm not going to give up -- the chicken wiener is the problem. A thin dry charcuterie product and sharp cheese would be much better.

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...

OK one more to add, not as obscene as the last couple but.....

Needed a quick and tasty meal for some friends on Saturday. Basic story is it was Ukee Day (a town celebration) on the weekend and the beer gardens closed for two hours from 5 to 7 so needed something fast and good for a crowd.

Started by pulling out 4 pounds of ground duck, mised it up with a few spices and a lot of green onions.

IMGP0167.jpg

Tossed the two meatloafs on the kettle and in the mean time baked up a few buns

IMGP0168.jpg

Also grilled some bok choy, red peppers, and daikon, and made a spicey plum sauce, leaving the plums nice and chunky

IMGP0169.jpg

IMGP0175.jpg

IMGP0174.jpg

All to make a few sandwiches!

IMGP0173.jpg

IMGP0172.jpg

Went over well and we made it back to the beer gardens on time!

Talk to you all soon!

Clark

No pics, but a few months ago I had the day off and made the following for my gf and I:

Beer-braised short ribs, leek & smoked Gouda sauce, arugula, red onion, pickled julienned red bell pepper on the morning's ciabatta.

We agreed that it was the best sandwich either of us have ever had. If the groceries hadn't cost me nearly $50 for just 2 sandwiches worth, I'd make them once a week.

• 1 month later...

Sandwich.jpg

I made this last weekend. I realize that it might have been a better idea to take pictures as I was making it, but I was too damn excited/hungry to just get the thing made. You can't really see all the components to the sandwich so I'll build it here:

1. A base layer of pesto spread across the bread.

2. Chorizo that I sauteed with garlic, split down the middle and placed on the pesto.

3. Sharp provolone.

4. Prosciutto.

5. Roasted red peppers.

I cut it into thirds, ate one on the spot, threw the other two in the freezer and saved them for lunch on Monday and Tuesday of the following week at lunch. It was AWESOME. I must admit, I was pretty damn proud of myself! The last piece that I had on Tuesday stood up surprisingly well also.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I work for a food truck that specializes in obscene sandwiches. Here are a couple of my favorites from this season.

Smoked pork shoulder, grilled apple, braised cabbage & pickled peppers

pork shoulder & chilis.jpg

[On the right] Smoked leg of lamb (rolled with salsa verde), heirloom tomato, chickpea & mint

Leg of Lamb & Broc.jpg

Smoked brisket, pickled peppers & onions, chev, parsley

Beef Brisket.jpg

Smoked pork belly, (pork fat) seared haloumi, tomato, kale

Belly.jpg

Those were all one-off specials. This one is from our everyday offerings; the Pollo Torta: chicken, queso fresco, black beans, pickled tomatios, cilantro & avocado with a pork stock based dipping sauce

Chicken Torta from facebook 5-12.jpg

I work for a food truck that specializes in obscene sandwiches.

I would enjoy that job. Great looking sandwiches, whose the tiny lady?

Moe Sizlack

I work for a food truck that specializes in obscene sandwiches.

I would enjoy that job. Great looking sandwiches, whose the tiny lady?

Not sure. That picture was taken by a customer & posted to our Facebook page. It was the only picture I could find of that sandwich except a really bad one someone posted to foodspotter.com

• 1 month later...

I just helped open an "artisan dinner." This is the meatloaf sandwich (yukon gold mash, red onion marmalade & blue cheese on a black pepper focaccia), along with an order of my handmade tater tots (smoked garlic and rosemary with an asiago dipping sauce)

gallery_64459_6920_16965.jpg

I just helped open an "artisan dinner." This is the meatloaf sandwich (yukon gold mash, red onion marmalade & blue cheese on a black pepper focaccia), along with an order of my handmade tater tots (smoked garlic and rosemary with an asiago dipping sauce)

gallery_64459_6920_16965.jpg

I'm more curious about the beverage; I've only heard of Faygo sodas; does this have an alcohol content, or just a flavor? Where could I get one to try? (I'm in south Florida.)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I don't know if this obscene but it was damn good...also posted in the lunch thread but I'm a fiend for sandwiches and had to share!

Rosemary focaccia toasted in bacon fat, homemade bacon, honey turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayo, american cheese and red onion.

6281157749_94d1a44804_z.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Looks amazing! Can you tell me a little more about how you are making the smoked garlic and rosemary tator tots?

Clark

The tater tots are my monster right now. I created them, now I am faced with curning out 40 to 60 five-and-a-half ounce servings a day. For the first time in our week since opening I am actually ahead on them. 113 portioned servings are sitting in the deep freeze and 50 more pounds of potatoes are peeled and diced. :biggrin:

My jumping off point for the recipe and process was this very informative blog post at Serious Eats.

We make smoked garlic powder by smoking peeled cloves for about 12 hours then finishing them in a low oven overnight before grinding. The stuff is absolutely delicious, I have taken to calling it "Magic Jesus Powder." The tots also get minced fresh rosemary (today's batch was oregano because we didn't have nearly enough rosemary for the size batch I was doing).

As I've learned, every detail is important when trying to get the familar consistancy. Dice the potato too big and there won't be enough swelled starch & oil to hold the mixture together. Too samll a dice / overcooked / not cooled quickly enough? The texture is way too close to mashed potato. The first couple of thousand I piped by hand (and I am still feeling it in the mornings). Then I found this little beauty:

291087.jpg

It works like a caulk gun. Attach a pastry bag at the end and fire away. Freeze on a sheet trey and package once frozen.

Edited by Smitty (log)

I'm more curious about the beverage; I've only heard of Faygo sodas; does this have an alcohol content, or just a flavor? Where could I get one to try? (I'm in south Florida.)

Faygo is a soft drink that originated in Detroit (we are in Michigan and try to use only MI products). It is made in virtually every flavor under the sun these days and is the most widely available budget soda here in the Great Lakes region.

What we carry is their small line (6 varieties) of glass bottles in "classic" flavors. This line is made without HFCS.

As to where you might locate them in Florida I have no idea but as I'm sure you know there is a sizable population of former Michiganders in the Sunshine State. I would bet that it is available somewhere for the northerner looking for the taste of home.

Actually, here is a form on Faygo's website to inquire about whow to locate their products outside the Midwest.

Cheers