• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Obscene Sandwich

Peter the eater

One last one that we did last month....

So basically for this we made a couple of monterey jack grill cheese sandwiches with peppers, ground up a chuck roast and made homemade burgers topped with havarti and finally took a portabello mushroom stuffed it with fontina cheese, breaded it with panko and deep fried it.

The construction is grill cheese, burger, portabello, burger, and finally topped with another grilled cheese.....just try to survive eating this.

3.jpg

6.jpg

697.jpg

698.jpg

Have a good night!!

Clark

Clark D, is that thermometer to get you to the perfect temp for panko? The result looks exquisite.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've seen Americans refer to hamburgers as sandwiches before so, I guess, I'm forcing this square peg into a round hole.

There's a pub in the inner city, The Napier, that serves a hamburger--well, it's in Turkish bread, pide, so maybe you can call it a sandwich like you mean it--that contains beetroot, beef, chicken, bacon, cheese, egg, a goddamn hashbrown and some other standard burger-type stuff. All served with many chunky chips and much salad.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

You all might enjoy the current issue of Saveur magazine, the Sandwich Issue! April 2011, number 137.

The cover shows two of the most ridiculous and impossible to eat sandwiches I've ever seen, I'd like one of each please!

The issue is full of fun stories, great looking recipes and pictures of some crazy inventions, if you don't subscribe you should check it out at your local store, a fun read!

I don't have pictures, but I once had a kid's b'day party where I bbqued chicken in two or three different ways and put out a bunch of add on things, onions, condiments, etc. and some nice breads, everybody made their own sandwich with what was there. Was a lot of fun, and everybody found something to their liking. I'll probably do a repeat of that with photos later this year.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in Berlin recently and had a couple great sandwiches from this place called Heisser Wolf (Hot Wolf).

CIMG9650.JPG

Leberkäse - The basic ingredients of Bavarian Leberkäse or liver meatloaf comprise roughly stripped beef, fatty pork, lard, water and salt (no liver), but has a smooth bologna like consistency.

CIMG9552.JPG

Schinken-Krustenbraten - which has a meaty consistency of shoulder with a crispy outside skin crackling.

CIMG9652.JPG

CIMG9653.JPG

And a Doner kebab

CIMG9654.JPG

Well...I don't know that it's a sandwich, per se....but I was making my maiden voyage at rye bread (not half bad, btw), with an eye toward making pastrami sandwiches...so I figured, why not make the sandwiches at the same time as the bread?

pastrami swiss 1.jpg

pastrami swiss 3.jpg

pastrami swiss 4.jpg

Dough rolled to about 3/4 inch thick; middle third basted with spicy brown mustard, topped with pastrami, in turn topped with Swiss cheese. Edges, cut in "wings," folded over (the idea was for them to be long enough to be sort of latticed; they were too short). Brushed with an egg wash and baked.

I'll do it again, maybe with some horseradish sauce, too....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb, that is absolutely brilliant! I am definitely making this meal this week. Would be great to make a few big ones to cut up for a party.

What rye recipe did you use?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I used the Triple Rye Bread recipe from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, and I added some caraway seed to the starter. Really good rye.

I had a chunk for lunch yesterday and brought another one to work today. I think if I were making it for dinner, I'd do red cabbage, and German potato salad. Just because I love both of them!

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

OK I have one more to add from our Smoke Day 7 celebrations on the weekend......Sorry for the poor photos.

Started by butterflying and deboning a pork shoulder

SNB17949.jpg

Stuffed it with freshly ground pork, red wine, fennel, garlic, lemon zest, and onions

SNB17951.jpg

Rolled it all up

SNB17954.jpg

Tossed it on the smoker over night rubbed with marjoram, onion, garlic, salt and aleppo pepper

SNB17977.jpg

Sliced it up

SNB18014.jpg

Baked some buns on the ranch kettle

SNB18009.jpg

Cooked up the pig skins on the kettle along with a cheese sauce, peppers, mushrooms and onions

SNB18015.jpg

SNB17974.jpg

And started assembling. Bun and pork stuffed pork.....

SNB18022.jpg

Added the peppers, onions, and mushrooms

SNB18023.jpg

Topped with crispy pig skin!

SNB18020.jpg

And served with Onion, Mushroom and Beer Soup topped with Monterey Jack and Jalapenos

SNB18024.jpg

Clark

Clark, what's the sauce on the bread, if I may ask? Looks like thousand island without the relish, but I'm sure it's more than that!

Not that it matters too much to me, I'd certainly eat that in a NY minute!

(Edited for edibility factor)

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

It's just a nice simple cheese sauce!

1/2 C Half-And-Half

1 C Monterey Cheese

T Chives

2 t Aleppo Pepper

t Granulated Garlic

Salt and White Pepper

In double-boiler with hot, not boiling, water, heat the 1/2 c of half-and-half till warm. Add the cheese and melt it, stirring often. Add spices and your good to go.

Clark

Why thank you, I will see what else we can come up with, this has been fun!

Clark

Exquisite stuff Clark D, and the shoulder photos are inspirational.

Moe Sizlack

One last one that we did last month....

So basically for this we made a couple of monterey jack grill cheese sandwiches with peppers, ground up a chuck roast and made homemade burgers topped with havarti and finally took a portabello mushroom stuffed it with fontina cheese, breaded it with panko and deep fried it.

The construction is grill cheese, burger, portabello, burger, and finally topped with another grilled cheese.....just try to survive eating this.

3.jpg

6.jpg

697.jpg

698.jpg

Have a good night!!

Clark

This sandwich/burger concoction is a beautiful thing. This just made my day!

Well...I don't know that it's a sandwich, per se....but I was making my maiden voyage at rye bread (not half bad, btw), with an eye toward making pastrami sandwiches...so I figured, why not make the sandwiches at the same time as the bread?

Dough rolled to about 3/4 inch thick; middle third basted with spicy brown mustard, topped with pastrami, in turn topped with Swiss cheese. Edges, cut in "wings," folded over (the idea was for them to be long enough to be sort of latticed; they were too short). Brushed with an egg wash and baked.

I'll do it again, maybe with some horseradish sauce, too....

Man, that looks good. Well done.

Not really a sandwich but definitely obscene on a number of levels.

The grilled chicken wiener with ketchup, relish and yellow mustard on a croissant. . .

018.JPG

Moe Sizlack