• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Obscene Sandwich

Peter the eater

Apparently, according to this Consumerist link the Double Down should be hitting local KFC stores on April 12th ...

Thoughts (other than gagging)?

I'm not a fan of KFC, and yes, that thing looks obscene. It strikes me as conceptually desperate. Who knows, maybe it tastes good.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

That's just.......wrong. Really, really wrong.

Especially with KFC "chicken".

And they've *GOT* to be kidding about that calorie count, right? I mean, seriously, isn't one piece of KFC "chicken" like 1000 calories itself?

No. Just no.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 4 weeks later...

My cousin came back from Europe a few years ago with this idea that we were going to recreate the best sandwich he'd ever had in his life, something called a Francesinha (took me three tries to spell that correctly) that he'd eaten in Portugal. It includes, but is not limited to, steak, sausage, ham, an egg, three slices of bread and a beery tomato sauce.

The making of it:

Production.jpg

The final product:

Final.jpg

It was the best sandwich I have ever had in my entire life. And yes, those fries are Ore Ida - I tried to edit them out, but to no avail :)

My cousin came back from Europe a few years ago with this idea that we were going to recreate the best sandwich he'd ever had in his life, something called a Francesinha (took me three tries to spell that correctly) that he'd eaten in Portugal. It includes, but is not limited to, steak, sausage, ham, an egg, three slices of bread and a beery tomato sauce.

The making of it:

Production.jpg

The final product:

Final.jpg

It was the best sandwich I have ever had in my entire life. And yes, those fries are Ore Ida - I tried to edit them out, but to no avail :)

:blink:

There's fries in that picture? I can't see past the awesome.

I find that a fried egg is good for taking a sandwich into obscene territory. The messiness of the runny yolk also adds to the obscenity, somehow.

Agreed, and a fried egg is more obscene than poached.

Here's another eggy one from this weekend:

A double-decker fiddlehead/cremini/onion omelet sandwich with a giant prawn from the mysterious waters of Vietnam. Ketchup, sriracha and cracked black pepper.

101_4658.jpg

Moe Sizlack

• 3 weeks later...

Not in a class with the others in this thread but a pretty obscene sandwich for me.

Ingredients: rye bread, dijon mustard (generously applied, both slices), chopped green olives, four slices gruyere, boiled ham (browned in butter prior to assembly), dry salami and prosciutto, heated in a makeshift press consisting of a well-buttered frying pan and an upside-down dinner plate weighted down with a stone mortar and pestle. Oh, and dill pickle quarters on the side.

IMG_2007v2.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

RE: The KFC Double Down...I forgot to hit 'quote'

Actually, if you don't have an issue with the fat or cholesterol or sodium content, it's shockingly good for you :laugh: It's low in carbs and high in protien.

The grilled version has only 460 calories and 3 carbs. The fried one has 540 calories and 11 carbs. Of course better than half the calories are from fat, and there are 23 and 33 grams of that respectively. Cholesterol is higher in the grilled version with 185. The fried one only has 145 grams. The sodium is also higher in the grilled version than in the fried, with 1430 and 1380 respectively.

I still wouldn't eat one on principal, it's just wrong.

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

My all-time favorite sandwich -- the BLAT:

blt2.jpg

Bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato. Only thing that could have improved it was spicy aioli, but I wasn't energetic enough to make any.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My all-time favorite sandwich -- the BLAT:

Bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato.

The acronym may be obscene but the concept is excellent. I had an undergrad roomie who made BMW's: baloney and Miracle Whip.

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...

Here's a turkey-less variation on the 100+ year old classic from Saratoga Springs, New York.

The Seal Club Sandwich . . .

img_0421s.jpg

img_0425.jpg

Moe Sizlack

Did the bacon complement the flipper, or fight it, flavour-wise?

They were compatible. The seal meat is moist and rich, like having a pâté smeared on the toast in lieu of turkey.

Moe Sizlack

• 4 weeks later...

Nova Scotia lobster salad - knuckle and claw meat, with a hint of chopped radish for textural crunch. Soft red potato bread and lettuce. Served to my 89-year-old grandmother to celebrate the start of her "birthday week".

photo.JPG

• 7 months later...

It says in the dropheader to share our personal best, and while I have made a more obscene sandwich, this one is clearly some sort of crime against nature. I give you the Hotburger Hamdog.

Hotburger Hamdog 01.jpg

But Rico - how did it taste- worthwhile?

Yes, definitely worthwhile, but a couple of caveats: in order to get the hot dog to fit, you have to use a kaiser roll and a huge amount of beef (assuming you like a thick burger). I made these for my dad and my brother, so that was no issue, but the tiny missus might not be able to finish 1/3 of it. As for the taste, it was worthwhile because the hot dogs took so little preparation. Cut 'em in half and throw 'em on the grill after flipping the patties once. If they took 30 minutes to prepare, I might reconsider. Also what was a little surprising to me was the texture the hot dog added to it. In short, I'll do it again.

Oh, and the topping on the front right bun is a heaping helping of dried, ground porcini with homemade mayo. My dad loves mushroom swiss burgers, so I improvised. The mayo turned out really well.

The negatives? I call it a hamdog, but I used a kosher dog. This sandwich has two distinctly different beef presences and it's still called a hamdog. And I thought hamburger was a misnomer.

Edited by Rico (log)

But Rico - how did it taste- worthwhile?

Yes, definitely worthwhile, but a couple of caveats: in order to get the hot dog to fit, you have to use a kaiser roll and a huge amount of beef (assuming you like a thick burger). I made these for my dad and my brother, so that was no issue, but the tiny missus might not be able to finish 1/3 of it.

I think it's brilliant! And to get it to 'fit' a bun and a normal sized burger, you could just cut each dog half in half again (crosswise) and use three half halfs (is this making ANY sense?). Then you'd get burger and dog in each bite and no flopping dog hanging over the side.

I think it's brilliant! And to get it to 'fit' a bun and a normal sized burger, you could just cut each dog half in half again (crosswise) and use three half halfs (is this making ANY sense?).

Any sense?? You're speaking my language! I'm a writer, not a mathematician. Three half halves of hot dogs makes a lot more sense than ... what would it be ... what's a half half? An eighth? No, a quarter ... carry the seven ... (It goes on like this) ...

Edited by Rico (log)

It says in the dropheader to share our personal best, and while I have made a more obscene sandwich, this one is clearly some sort of crime against nature. I give you the Hotburger Hamdog.

Hotburger Hamdog 01.jpg

It's a beauty! My hat is off to your culinary chimera.

Moe Sizlack

I don't have pics.. and I don't know how obscene you would consider it... but in the last year I coined the Ruben sandwich (not Reuben.. Ruben... imagine the girl from the Kahlua commercial pronouncing it)...

Sliced Sourdough Bread

Smoked Porkchop or Thick Ham

Cabbage Sauteed in Butter

Chihuahua or Monterrey Jack Cheese

Pickled Jalapenos

Thousand Island

Prepare it like a Grilled Cheese

Figure it's time to join this awesome thread! I will start with a sandwich we made yesterday, well two actually.....

Homemade bun, roasted garlic hummus, lots of peppers, onions, oyster mushrooms, tri tip grilled and then bathed in a red wine beef sauce topped with a Mexican cheese sauce.....

SNB17506.jpg

SNB17509.jpg

SNB17552.jpg

SNB17553.jpg

SNB17561.jpg

SNB17562.jpg

Clark