• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Obscene Sandwich

Peter the eater

The Reuben is one of those obscene sandwiches that needs no introduction. I could eat them morning, noon, and night. I made this one recently from Chubby Hubby.

gallery_25933_6749_24550.jpg

Photo credit. ChubbyHubby.net

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

The Reuben is one of those obscene sandwiches that needs no introduction. I could eat them morning, noon, and night. I made this one recently from Chubby Hubby.

gallery_25933_6749_24550.jpg

Photo credit. ChubbyHubby.net

Love the Reuben, while I don't have a pic. The Pork Belly Reuben at "Bunk" in PDX is off the charts. Of course if you're a purist, you'll turn up your nose at it. But man, it's if you've died and gone to Reuben heaven really.

Perhaps this is heresy, but while the meat itself at Katz's is fantastic, I find their sandwiches cartoonish, unwieldy and obscene. Maybe you're meant to nibble on some meat and take the rest home so you can make an actual, proportionally proper sandwich. But a giant pile of corned beef or pastrami between two pathetic slices of bread is just ... useless.

I found it to be a tourist trap.

Perhaps this is heresy, but while the meat itself at Katz's is fantastic, I find their sandwiches cartoonish, unwieldy and obscene. Maybe you're meant to nibble on some meat and take the rest home so you can make an actual, proportionally proper sandwich. But a giant pile of corned beef or pastrami between two pathetic slices of bread is just ... useless.

I agree.

I agree.

Maybe Katz's is more like the Prado, and that Reuben Sandwich isn't a Reuben, it's a Goya -- The Nude Maja. All that exposed flesh and nothing concealing it. . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

WAIT! I haven't been to Katz's, and I was thinking of my experiences at Carnegie. Sorry about that. Yeah, the Katz's on second glance looks more feasible than what I was served at Carnegie.

Oops.

Yeah, the Carnegie is more touristy than Katz's, and everyone knows the sandwiches are absurd. If you order a combo, like corned beef and pastrami ("the Woody Allen"), instead of giving you a sandwich that's half a corned beef sandwich and half a pastrami sandwich, they give you something like a whole pastrami sandwich on top of a whole corned beef sandwich and they were both huge to begin with. They'll give you extra slices of bread at no charge, if you ask. Some New Yorkers disparage the Carnegie because of the clientele, ignoring the fact that the food is still good despite the tourists.

I like the Carnegie for corned beef, Katz's for pastrami.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I like the Carnegie for corned beef, Katz's for pastrami.

ditto.

you'll pay for quality -- the Katz's pastrami sandwich clocks in at $14 BUT it's ambrosia. the bread is irrelevant; it's all about the meat. and what glorious pastrami it is.

if you don't care for that style of sandwich, bring your own bread and have at it.

a few more pix. obscenities of a different kind. :raz:

gallery_1890_1967_64509.jpg

Kreuz sausage and BBQ brisket open face sandwich, coleslaw

gallery_1890_1967_449150.jpg

Lobster roll in a brioche bun, yuca chips

gallery_1890_1967_393630.jpg

Closeup of the lobster roll. A bit too much mayonnaise to my taste but it was damn good.

gallery_1890_1967_145587.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich

gallery_1890_1967_9290.jpg

Not exactly a sandwich in the traditional sense (because there isn't any bread) BUT this was to die for: suckling pig confit at Eleven Madison Park. thin crisp pork skin, luscious tender meat with just a trace of five-spice powder. who needs bread? :biggrin: (garnishes for those of you curious: braised cippolini onion, potato foam, baby leek, plum chutney)

hmm

toast english muffins on both sides, butter the cut side.

heat the oven to four hundred. line them on the cookie sheet cut side up.

cover with ham cuts, slices of tomatos, and bacon. after about twenty minutes, add cheese slices and cook for a few minutes more, til the cheese metls.

Edited by christine007 (log)

---------------------------------------

Grilled homemade ham, marble cheese, red onion and Keen's mustard on grilled bread . . . maybe not obscene but very tasty.

gallery_42214_6390_11629.jpg

Moe Sizlack

• 2 months later...

Off the barbecue: bagel, slab bacon, chipotle, creminis, and a soft surface-ripened cheese from Quebec whose name escapes me. . .

101_3366.jpg

101_3371.jpg

Moe Sizlack

I made a really stunning muffaleta but can't seem to find any photos of it. The guts were about 4" thick. I thought I took pictures.... hmph. :huh:

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I made a really stunning muffaleta but can't seem to find any photos of it. The guts were about 4" thick. I thought I took pictures.... hmph. :huh:

I've recently gone from "what's a muffaleta" to "now that's an obscene sandwich".

Thank you, thank you, for your direction.

Moe Sizlack

One of my fond memories from my days working in a restaurant kitchen is 'sandwich wars', where the cooks would try to outdo each other with wild sandwiches made fromn leftovers. I remember some great combinations (and some not so great), but a big surprise was peanut butter, pastrami, fried egg and dill pickle on rye. Try it!

More sandwich obscenity!

These little sandwiches are fairly obscene, and definitely went over very well with the guests. I suppose you could call them miniature burgers . . . of decadence.

• Fresh ground venison patties made with raw egg and bread crumbs got grilled outside.
  • Garlic, leeks and shallots got caramelized in butter on the stove.
  • A hunk of duck foie gras was seared -- this foie comes to Halifax in a reefer truck from Charlesbourg, north of Quebec City.
  • Small circles of white bread were toasted and smeared with pure Nova Scotian maple butter.
  • Everything was assembled with sea salt, crushed pink peppercorns and fresh basil.

I would like to add that this was my first experience cooking with foie gras, and it really is an amazing substance. Too bad it's so damned expensive. This pack of 100 grams was almost ten bucks, which I think is around $500 bucks per pound. Ouch.

101_3463.jpg

101_3470.jpg

101_3474.jpg

a.jpg

101_3482.jpg

Moe Sizlack

This pack of 100 grams was almost ten bucks, which I think is around $500 bucks per pound. Ouch.

Oops, that would be $50 bucks per pound.

Nice Ruben, scubadoo97.

Moe Sizlack

The beauty of a sandwich is in the spontaneity and adaptability. It doesn't need to be over-sized to be good or obscene. It's lunch, there's not much time, throw some stuff together between slabs of bread.

This one had merit, I'll do it differently next time. A split baguette, rare grilled flank steak with honey comb and dried horseradish shavings on one side. Scallions, mayo and brie on the other. Rich and chewy.

101_3512.jpg

101_3520.jpg

Moe Sizlack

nbaines, that's a nice sandwich. Collier's Cheddar, given the name and package, could be a big hit here in Nova Scotia with all the old coal mines and communities. What does Powerful Welsh taste like? There's been a resurgence of traditional cheddar here in Atlantic Canada, the standout is Prince Edward Island's Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar.

Moe Sizlack

there's a place down the road that specializes in grilled cheese sandwiches...

a few favorites:

potato and cheese pierogies, kraut, onions, cheddar

jalapeno poppers (cheddar and cream cheese-stuffed battered deep-fried jalapenos), mixed berry preserves, more cheese

peanut butter, soft cream cheese, mixed berry preserves, banana

• 3 months later...