• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for rack of lamb

Mano

I'll be making rack of lamb on New Years Eve and don't know if the US grown lamb is worth 2-3 x the price of New Zealand or Australian lamb. I also have an untrained eye when it comes to grading lamb regardless of origin.

My wife sometimes buys NZ racks of mini chops at Trader Joes and they taste perfectly fine. Costco has whole racks of NZ but won't give a price on the phone.

I'm in the middle Bucks County area and called some local butcher shops, as well as, a few shops in the Italian Market and Reading Terminal Market. The prices are over the place.

On line I can get Niman Ranch for about $40/lb delivered or through Costco at a shade over $30/lb. Both price points give me nose bleeds.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

We just bought a whole lamb with two other couples from Farm to City - Winter Harvest.

It's a sort of winter CSA. It was $7.00 a pound. Good taste and it is local.

farmtocity.org

Sounds wonderful! I take your post as an offer to sell me a full rack of lamb at $7.00 a pound, thank you very much! :raz:

What's CSA? Back in the 70's and 80's I was a member of Weaver's Way. Is it something similar?

Edited to add: I read the farm to city info about CSA's.

Edited by Mano (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input. We ended up buying Frenched Aussie baby racks of lamb from Costco at a very reasonable $11 a pound. It was very good.

Interestingly, when we learned two more people would be joining us we bought American lamb at a local supermarket for $17/lb. It wasn't nearly as tasty and we had to trim about 3 oz. of fat from each of the two 10 oz packages.

We made Tom Colicchio's Rack of Lamb with Roasted Tomato Jus and served it with a Worthy Sophie's Cuvee 2004 and a Seghesio 2007 Sonoma Zin.